Currency converter
All news
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Supreme Court upholds verdict on Sagra conflict participant

October 09, 2013, 17:26 UTC+3

Victims of disorders in the village of Sagra, Sverdlovsk region, in the summer of 2011, claimed the sentence was 'too soft'

1 pages in this article
Magomet Bekov. Archive photo. ITAR-TASS/ Anton Butsenko

Magomet Bekov. Archive photo. ITAR-TASS/ Anton Butsenko

MOSCOW, October 9 (Itar-Tass) - The Russian Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the verdict on Magomed Bekov convicted in the case over mass disturbances in the village of Sagra, Sverdlovsk region, in the summer of 2011. The court did not grant the injured parties' appeal requesting revision of Bekov's sentence as too soft.

"The court rules to leave the verdict by the Sverdlovsk region court dated July 18, 2013 unchanged," it said in a resolution.

Bekov was not present during the review. His interests were represented by a court-appointed lawyer.

The prosecutor and the convicted man's lawyer had protested the arguments stated in the appeal. The parties have a year to challenge the verdict at the presidium of the Supreme Court.

On July 18, the Sverdlovsk region court sentenced Magomed Bekov to one year and three months in a general regime penitentiary for involvement in the Sagra riot. Bekov had been wanted by police for a long time. In July 2012, he was detained in Ingushetia and convoyed to Yekaterinburg.

The verdict for other participants in the Sagra conflict was announced on March 19. There were 24 defendants. Ivan Lebedev, Kakhaber Chichua, Shota Katamadze, Artyom Rabadanov, Vyacheslav Lebedev and Magomed Bekov were given prison terms, while others got suspended sentences.

On August 2, the Supreme court replaced the prison terms for Artyom Rabadanov and Shota Katamadze with suspended sentences.

None of the defendants had pleaded guilty. Some claimed they had had no intention to get involved in mass disturbances while other said they had heard shooting before they arrived to the point of destination and decided to return.

Mass disturbances in Sagra occurred because of a conflict between two village residents -- the Lebedev couple - with villagers who had accused them of theft. They phoned their relative Ivan Lebedev who had friends in the criminal underworld asking him to have it out with villagers. Prosecutors said the Lebedevs paid 30,000 to the mob.

Having armed themselves with a sawn-off shotgun, non-lethal pistols, baseball bats, wooden sticks, metal rods and other hard objects, some 30 mobsters came in 13 cars to Sagra and staged mass disturbances at the entrance to the village overnight to July 1, 2011. A 28-year-old resident of Yekaterinburg was killed in the shooting. The attackers threatened physical violence on injured parties.

Show more
In other media
Partner News