Iran plans to buy 12 Superjet-100 Russian aircraft in near future — ministerBusiness & Economy February 22, 8:24
Kiev proposes removing Russia’s veto power in UN Security CouncilWorld February 22, 2:31
Trump says saddened to learn of death of Russia’s Permanent Representative to UN ChurkinWorld February 22, 1:56
Lavrov says Russia-Belarus relations developing in working modeRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 21, 21:48
Condolence book in memory of Churkin opened at Russia’s Permanent Mission to UNWorld February 21, 20:53
Ukrainian billionaire Dmitry Firtash detained in Vienna at Spain’s requestWorld February 21, 20:40
UN secretary-general offers Lavrov condolences on Churkin’s deathWorld February 21, 19:53
OPEC does not see problems regarding growth of Russian oil exportBusiness & Economy February 21, 19:46
Kremlin to bake 100,000 pancakes for MaslenitsaSociety & Culture February 21, 19:23
SEOUL, September 24 (Itar-Tass) - In recent months, North Korean experts have been possibly preparing a new missile launch, the Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday, citing American experts.
In this connection, the experts noted the return of Pak To-chun, a top North Korean official in charge of missile and nuclear development, to a public scene. Pak, Secretary of the Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK) overseeing the munitions industry, had been unusually absent from major reported events since May. His disappearance raised speculation that he might have been urged or demoted due to possible technical glitches in the nation’s missile program.
In early September, however, he reappeared in the North’s state media. “If indeed his disappearance was caused by the technical setback in the North’s missile program, as some observers speculated last summer, then Pak’s comeback may indicate that the technical issue must have been successfully resolved and the North may be ready for another missile launch, perhaps as early as this fall,” said Alexandre Mansourov, a US expert who has long followed North Korea issues.
In spring, North Korea issued near-daily threats to launch a missile attack on the US and South Korea. It was seen preparing for the launch of Musudan intermediate-range ballistic missiles from road-mobile launchers. But it did not go ahead with the launch, for unknown reasons.
Citing satellite imagery, a US research institute also said the North probably tested a long-range rocket engine in late August at a launch site near the border with China.
The indicators include the presence of a probable rocket stage, a crane necessary to mount and remove the rocket engine and propellant tanks on the test stand, instrumentation used to monitor tests as well as changes in the appearance of vegetation in front of the flame trench, Nick Hansen, a satellite photo analyst, said in a report on 38 North, a blog run by the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University, Yonhap reported.