WASHINGTON, August 9 (Itar-Tass) - Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Friday that President Obama’s visit to Moscow had been postponed rather than cancelled.
“The summit has been put off although the press writes that it has been cancelled,” the Russian foreign minister said in Washington after the “two plus two” consultations between the Russian and U.S. foreign policy and defense chiefs.
“The U.S. side has put it off. The invitation that was sent to Obama is still in force,” Lavrov added.
“Russia and the United States intend to develop interaction on the basis of equality. We are going to consider any complicated issues on the basis of equality and we will work out common approaches to their settlement,” Lavrov went on to say.
Lavrov noted that the atmosphere at the consultations had been positive.
“We are hopeful that the consultations will contribute to rapprochement of our peoples in the sphere of strategic stability and will be useful for strengthening world stability,” the Russian foreign minister added.
Lavrov told journalists that Obama’s refusal to visit Moscow would not have any negative impact on Russian-American relations.