MOSCOW, July 19 (Itar-Tass) - Romanian President Traian Basescu’s attacks on Russia over the Transdniestrian settlement are incorrect and groundless, the Russian Foreign Ministry reported.
Commenting on the recent interview by the Romanian president, the ministry said: “Basescu questions the sincere attitude by Russian officials who favour the lasting and vital settlement of the Transdniestrian conflict. We consider such attacks incorrect and groundless.”
“Russia’s position is consistent and well-known. We continue to carry out the mediation mission in a conscientious, unbiased and transparent way and guarantee the future agreements on the settlement of the conflict. Russia calls for working out a special, reliably guaranteed status to Transdniestria as part of the Republic of Moldova by respecting its territorial integrity and state sovereignty. The principle of the non-interference into internal affairs is the cornerstone of our relations with the Republic of Moldova,” Foriegn Ministry deputy spokesperson Maria Zakharova said.
Russia hopes “on further evolutionary development of the political processes in Moldova without outside pressure based on the democratic principles, inter-ethnic accord and balanced foreign policy”, she said.
The diplomat stressed that the Romanian president’s statement was discordant amidst the successful visit to Moscow by Romanian Foreign Titus Corlatean on July 9 when the parties raised the Transdniestrian settlement.
“In addition, during the talks, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Romanian colleague agreed to step up the efforts to comply with the treaty on friendly relations and cooperation that had been signed several years ago. Unfortunately, the treaty was in a reserve of Russian-Romanian interaction. Now there are prerequisites to overcome the stagnation in bilateral relations,” Zakharova said.
Moscow believes that the Romanian leadership “also seeks to realize these chances”, she added.