MOSCOW, July 18 (Itar-Tass) - Ascent Travel has declared it stops selling tours to Croatia and Montenegro and will pay compensations to tourists on its own without the aid of an insurance company, executive director of the Association of Tour Operators of Russia (ATOR) Maya Lomidze told Itar-Tass.
The report, which was circulated on July 17 to regional tour operators, said the company annulled booking flights to Croatia and Montenegro from St Petersburg, Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod and Yekaterinburg. “Today the company has said it closes tours to other directions,” Lomidze said.
The Ascent Travel leadership explained that the tour operator had taken this step due to the situation on the market. Chairman of the board of directors Boris Burykin said, “Tours are sold below cost and the tour operator is unable to afford it.”
Lomidze said, “This step does not prove that the company is going to be closed. Due to the difficult summer for tourism business this is a rather reasonable decision.”
She noted, “The leadership of the company said it had started paying compensations to tourists whose tours had been annulled. Clients are pledged to return money within the 10-day-long period.”
“Totally, the tour operator should pay from 17 million roubles to 19 million roubles to tourists,” Lomidze said.