Russia hopes for constructive work with Trump's administration at G20Business & Economy January 24, 20:29
Everything you need to know about Oscars 2017 nominationsSociety & Culture January 24, 19:57
Konchalovsky glad his film Paradise is absent from list of Oscar nomineesSociety & Culture January 24, 18:55
Russian meteorology service reports 2016 is record warm year in ArcticBusiness & Economy January 24, 18:22
Russian chief negotiator comments on outcome of Syria peace talks in AstanaRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 24, 18:11
Legendary Isinbayeva blasts recent German film on alleged doping in Russian athleticsSport January 24, 18:07
Russian senator says Astana meeting on settling Syrian crisis proves successfulRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 24, 17:55
Russian State Duma speaker hopes PACE will confirm its pan-European status under AgramuntRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 24, 17:14
De Mistura says agreement on Syria ceasefire monitoring major result of Astana talksWorld January 24, 17:07
MOSCOW, June 3 (Itar-Tass) - Moscow believes that London’s initiative to adopt a U.N. Security Council statement on the events in Syria’s Al-Qusayr is untimely, Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Monday, June 3.
“In this situation, Great Britain initiated a draft statement of the Security Council chairman in the U.N. Security Council. Basically, it demanded that the Syrian military cease fire unilaterally and let the bandits encircled in several city districts get out,” he said.
“Russia could not agree with this position. We stated our disagreement and the draft did not pass,” the spokesperson added.
“The proposal that the international community should raise its voice at a time when the Syrian army is finishing a counter-terrorist operation against insurgents who have been terrorising the population of the border-lying Syrian town for several months can hardly be called timely,” Lukashevich sad.
He noted that “no one drew attention to the suffering of Al-Qusayr’s residents” during this time.
Fierce fighting continues in Al-Qusayr, 10 kilometres from the Lebanese border. According to Al-Watan, hundreds of mercenaries were killed there over the past 48 hours. A Syrian military source denied an Istanbul opposition statement that the insurgents in the town surrounded by the army had received reinforcement from other parts of the country. To prove his point, he said that the rebels heading to Al-Qusayr from Talbiseh, 10 kilometres from Homs, had been destroyed.