CNN will not get away with Syrian boy video — Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswomanWorld June 28, 3:12
WADA’s move shows trust in Russia’s anti-doping measures — ministerSport June 28, 1:02
US disciplinary procedure against jailed Russian businessman Bout delayed — attorneyWorld June 27, 23:16
FIFA report on Russia’s 2018 World Cup bidding proves legitimacy of its win — deputy PMSport June 27, 21:08
FIFA report on Russia’s 2018 bidding dismisses Western media allegations — LOC chiefSport June 27, 19:53
Encrypting ransomware Petya attacks computers worldwide — Kaspersky LabBusiness & Economy June 27, 19:23
Kremlin says its computers not affected by hacker attackRussian Politics & Diplomacy June 27, 18:55
Security experts urge Putin, Trump to overcome disagreementsWorld June 27, 18:51
Jury to deliver verdict on Nemtsov murder case on June 28Society & Culture June 27, 18:42
MOSCOW, April 25 (Itar-Tass) – Opposition activist Konstantin Lebedev, sentenced to 2.5 years in jail for involvement in disturbances in Moscow's Bolotnaya Square last May and planning riots in the country, will not appeal the verdict, his lawyer Valery Lavrov told reporters on Thursday.
"Immediately after the verdict was read, Lebedev said he would not appeal," the lawyer said adding that his client might change his mind.
He underlined that the defense would petition for parole, after Lebedev had served part of the prison term.
Lavrov also said that "he /Lebedev/ would be questioned in the case against Razvozzhayev and Udaltsov."
Earlier in the day, the Moscow City Court sentenced Lebedev, an aide to Left Front coordinator Sergei Udaltsov, to 2.5 years in jail for involvement in disturbances in Moscow's Bolotnaya Square last May and planning riots in the country. The resolution was passed by judge Podoprigorov.
In passing the verdict, the court took into consideration the information about the defendant's personality and his cooperation with the investigator, and meted out the punishment "below the low threshold". It said given the circumstances of the case, a penalty other than imprisonment was not possible.
The prosecutor for the state had demanded five years in prison for Lebedev.
Lebedev, who had been under house arrest, was taken in custody in the courtroom. He will serve his sentence in a general regime penitentiary.
The criminal case against Lebedev was reviewed under special procedure as he had signed a plea bargain agreement. He had fully admitted his guilt and repented.
The investigator said "Lebedev, together with Sergei Udaltsov, Leonid Razvozzhayev and Givi Targamadze, on May 6, 2012, with the view of encroaching upon the principles of security and stability of the society and unsettling the socio-political situation in the Russian Federation, organized mass disturbances in Bolotnaya Square, accompanied by violence against government representatives and destruction of property."
Continuing their illegal activity in 2012, the accomplices planned further riots in Russia. To this end, they set up the so-called training camps in various Russian regions, including Ivanovo, Yaroslavl, Nizhny Novgorod, Volgograd, Kazan and Lithuania, recruited participants in mass disturbances, and engaged in organization and preparation activities which later were stopped by law-enforcement personnel.
It follows from the indictment that Lebedev, Udaltsov and Razvozzhayev had received remuneration from Georgian politician Targamadze for planning and preparing riots in Russia.
"Lebedev set the sum of remuneration at 50,000 roubles for himself, Udaltsov and Razvozzhayev," prosecutor Mikhail Reznichenko said at the trial.