MOSCOW, March 24 (Itar-Tass) – A total of eight people were injured Sunday afternoon in the town of Shchelkovo to the northeast of Moscow when a household gas bottle exploded in a residential apartment during redecoration works, the press service of the Moscow region branch of the Ministry for Emergency Situations and Civil Defense /EMERCOM/ said.
The house where the explosion occurred is not connected to the town’s centralized gas distribution system. Operatives have found out that a ten-liter gas bottle exploded in an apartment on the first floor of the building when repair workers were assembling a stretch ceiling.
A small fire broke out after the explosion but the workers eliminated it before the arrival of firefighters.
The explosion blew out the windows and the door in the apartment and damaged the doors of a lift located nearby but left the load-bearing elements of the building untouched.