Currency converter
All news
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Verdict in Sagra fight case to be handed down on March 19

February 19, 2013, 16:25 UTC+3

More than 200 persons were questioned within the case, and 83 expert examinations were carried out

1 pages in this article

YEKATERINBURG, February 19 (Itar-Tass) - The Sverdlovsk region court on March 19 will begin to read the verdict in the case over mass disturbances in the village of Sagra in the summer of 2011, the court's press service told Itar-Tass on Tuesday.

"Twenty-three people are in the prisoner's dock, so it might take several days to read the verdict. It's difficult to predict how much time it will take; but there have been precedents in the court's practice where verdict reading dragged on," the press service said.

According to the prosecutor's version, the defendants staged mass disturbances in order to take revenge upon the Sagra residents who had accused some of them of theft. Having armed themselves with a sawn-off shotgun, non-lethal pistols, metal rods, baseball bats, stick and other objects, a group of aggressive youngsters arrived in Sagra in 13 cars in the evening of July 1, 2011.

They began shooting and threatened village residents with physical violence. A young man was killed during the fight.

None of the defendants pleaded guilty, the court's press service told Tass. "Some defendants claimed they had had no intention to get involved in mass disturbances while other said they had heard shooting before they arrived to the point of destination and decided to return. All the defendants said there was no corpus delicti in their actions and asked the court to acquit them," the press service said.

The prosecutor demanded that defendants Chichua, the Lebedevs, Katamadze, Fatakhov, Rabadanov, Slatimov, Abdurashidov and Valiyev be sentenced to four to six years. Other defendants - Akimov, Gadyyev, Zakirov, Zaripov, Bakharev, Ismailov, Salyakhov, the Safarovs, Khabiyev, Selimov and Sharipov - were participants in the armed attack, and should be given 3-year to 3.5-year suspended sentences with three-year probation.

More than 200 persons were questioned within the case, and 83 expert examinations were carried out.

According to the investigators, Ivan Lebedev and Kakhaber Chichua set up a gang comprising eight members in early 2011. It included Shota Katamadze, Artyom Rabadanov, Magomed Bekov, Vitaly Slatimov, Kardash Fatakhov and Faig Musaiyev.

"In the summer, two residents of the Sagra settlement - Valentina and Vyacheslav Lebedev, after quarrelling with local residents who had accused them of theft, phoned their relative Ivan Lebedev, who was in prison and asked him to stage mass disturbances in the village for 30,000 roubles, an official at the regional department of the Prosecutor General's Office said.

"Lebedev instructed Shota Katamadze, together with other gang members, to work out a plan of attack. The gang then phoned their acquaintances and rounded up at least 30 people.

"Having armed themselves with a sawn-off shotgun, non-lethal pistols, baseball bats, wooden sticks, metal rods and other hard objects, they came in 13 cars to Sagra and staged mass disturbances at the entrance to Sagra overnight to July 1, 2011. A 28-year-old resident of Yekaterinburg was killed in the shooting. The defendants threatened physical violence on injured parties, and fired several shots. The attackers withdrew as they heard a police detail was on their way to the village," the prosecutor said.

Searches at defendants' apartments found air pistols, nunchucks, baseball bats, batons, brass knuckles, an axe, and assault rifle and machine gun ammunition.

The proceedings against one participant in the mass disturbance made a separate case. He was found insane and the investigators asked the court to send him for compulsory treatment.

On February 12, the Verkhnyaya Pyshma court in the Sverdlovsk region passed guilty verdicts for police officers Sergei Zinovyev and Vadim Zainiyev, accused of negligence that resulted in the Sagra fight. Zinovyev was sentenced to three years and two months in prison and Zainiyev to ten months of community work. Ten 10 percent of Zainiyev's salary will be deducted to the budget. Also, both were banned from taking jobs at government bodies for three years, the Court's press service told Itar-Tass.

The prosecutor for the state had demanded that Zinovyev be sentenced to 5 years and 3 months, and Zainiyev to 1 year of community work.

The armed conflict broke out as a result of lax control by the local police chief over his subordinates' work, district police officer Zainiyev and public security department head Zinovyev. Specifically, their checks for compliance with registration and firearms keeping rules by Sagra residents had been careless. Some of the firearms were used in mass disturbances, the investigators said.

It was ascertained that Zainiyev had known about the upcoming unrest, but withheld this information from the administration. He left the Sverdlovsk region on the day of the fight.

Sverdlovsk region police spokesman Valery Gorelykh said Zinoyev had resigned of his own accord, and Zainiyev would be relieved of his duties after the verdict came into effect.


Show more
In other media
Partner News