Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Court to announce verdict for suspected munity masterminds on February 8

February 06, 2013, 14:36 UTC+3
In his final statement on Wednesday, Kiselyov asked to clear him of the attempted armed mutiny charges
1 pages in this article

MOSCOW, February 6 (Itar-Tass) - The Moscow City Court on Thursday will hand down the verdict for retired main intelligence department Colonel Vladimir Kvachkov and his suspected accomplice Alexander Kiselyov, accused of planning an armed munity with the view of overthrowing Russia's Constitutional Order.

"The judges are withdrawing to the conference room to decide on the verdict, which will be announced on February 8," Judge Pavel Melekhin said.

In his final statement on Wednesday, Kiselyov asked to clear him of the attempted armed mutiny charges. Earlier, he pleaded guilty to illegal keeping of firearm. He claimed the investigators had failed to establish any connection between him and Kvachkov, and that the investigator had actively "put psychological pressure on witnesses and threatened them with criminal prosecution."

On Monday, the prosecutor demanded that Kvachkov be sentenced to 14 years in a maximum security penitentiary, and Alexander Kiselyov, the second defendant, to 12 years, and have their freedom restricted for two years after serving their sentences. The prosecutor also demanded that the defendants be stripped of their military rank. He insisted that their guilt had been fully proven.

The investigator said Kvachkov, in order to implement his design, enlisted several persons, including Kiselyov, and issued instructions to them. "For example, he ordered to find people in Moscow for preparing an armed munity. His agent Manrik selected such people, and sent them for military training to the Myakinino firing range," Prosecutor Alexander Remizov noted, underlining the Kvachkov had engaged in similar activities in St Petersburg and Samara.

According to the prosecutor, Kiselyov had recruited a group of ten persons in St Petersburg in 2010 and purchased weapons. On July 10, 2010, he instructed them and named the date of the mutiny. During that period - from April through July - he was preparing the munity and selected the town of Kovrov, Vladimir region, as the venue for illegal actions.

Kvachkov and Kiselyov planned to seize the buildings of the Interior Ministry, the Federal Security Service and the Emergency Situations Department in Kovrov, as well as weapons and ammunition. However, the retired Colonel was unable to carry his plans through due to extraneous circumstances.

At the Tuesday hearing, Kvachkov's lawyer asked the court to acquit him, despite his claiming his right to uprising. "Do not be bewildered by our talking about our client's innocence whereas he insists on his right to uprising. Simply it is his opinion, which has no corpus delicti," lawyer Alexei Pershin said, underlining that "Kvachkov's opinion about the inevitability of uprising does not indicate that he admits his guilt or his wish to prepare a munity."

The lawyer noted that during the investigation, the prosecutor was unable to prove that "two pensioners - one of which lived in Moscow and the other in St Petersburg and who did not know each other - were trying to overthrow the government."

"Kvachkov, as head of people's militia, contributed to the patriotic upbringing of young people. He has been a supporter of a powerful and strong-willed state. The prosecutor also failed to presence specifics: who recruited whom, how many recruits there were and where they had gone.

"As for the jail term demanded by the prosecutors, they punish murders with softer sentences. The court can only strip Colonel of his army rank, but Kvachkov is also a Cossack Colonel and this rank cannot be taken away," the lawyer noted.

The guilt of the defendants is therefore not proven. "I'm asking the court to acquit them due to a lack of corpus delicti," Pershin said.

Earlier, a court in Yekaterinburg convicted several persons within the attempted mutiny case.

Kvachkov was the key suspect in the case over the assassination attempt on the life of chief of RAO UES electric utility Anatoly Chubais on March 17, 2005.

A jury found all the defendants in the assassination attempt case not guilty, in a marathon eight-hour session overnight to August 21, 2010. Kvachkov later won a 450,000-rouble damages suit.

Kvachkov had to undergo a psychiatric expert examination twice. The first was carried out within the Chubais attack probe.

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама