MOSCOW, December 21 (Itar-Tass) —— Kremlin visitors will see the restored Kutafya Tower, which is almost 500 years old. After the completion of the year-long renovation work, the passage through the tower to the Kremlin will be opened.
The site, one of the main entrances to the Kremlin, was renovated "at repeated requests" of visitors, the chief Kremlin manager's press secretary Viktor Khrekov told Itar-Tass. Visitors complained that they had to wait sometimes for hours in any weather to pass through checkpoints to go on an excursion or for a Kremlin Palace concert. Now, it will take less time and will be more comfortable, Khrekov assured.
The major repair with the modernization of the checkpoint at the Kutafya Tower was carried out by the Kremlin management and the Federal Guard Service.
Before the repair, seven check points were opened to enter the Moscow Kremlin. There are 16 now, and all are in buildings with heating, ventilation and other appropriate systems.
According to specialists, up to 6,000 people can pass through the new check points in an hour and a half, for example to go to the State Kremlin Palace. The Federal Guard Service says that the examination procedure is improved.
There is everything necessary for people with disabilities for comfortable visits to the Kremlin, Khrekov noted.
The checkpoint is in two glass pavilions, 150 sq m each. Visitors enter from the side of the Alexander Garden and go out through the arch of the Kutafya Tower and also the left and the right of it through the gate.
As the pavilions are situated close to the cultural heritage site -- the Kutafya Tower, the architectural decision is of a temporary character, and there are no additional architectural accents, the management noted. The Russian Culture Ministry’s services agreed with the project.
The Kutafya Tower was built by Milan architect Aleviz (Aliosio) Fryazin in 1516. Its height is 13.5 m at present. It was surrounded by a ditch and the Neglinka River with one gate, which was closed tightly with a drawbridge. The tower prevented intruders from entering. In 1685, the tower was decorated with the white stone openwork "crown".