NEW YORK, April 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The United Nations Correspondents Association (UNCA) invites media worldwide to submit entries for its 17th Annual UNCA Awards Dinner and Dance for the best written and electronic media coverage of the United Nations, its agencies and field operations.
The prizes amount to over $50,000 with $10,000 each for the main categories.
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will present the prizes at the Awards Gala dinner on Wednesday, December 19th at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York.
There are no entry fees of any kind for submissions.
Deadline for submissions is September 15, 2012
The awards are open to all journalists anywhere in the world. The Awards are:
- The Elizabeth Neuffer Memorial Prize, sponsored by The Alexander Bodini Foundation, for written media (including online media) coverage of the U.N. and its agencies and their work.
Elizabeth Neuffer, The Boston Globe bureau chief at the United Nations, died while on assignment in Baghdad in 2003.
- The Ricardo Ortega Memorial Prize for broadcast journalism coverage of the UN, and its agencies, jointly sponsored by the World Council of Peoples for the United Nations and Antena 3 TV of Spain. Ricardo Ortega, formerly the New York correspondent for Antena 3 TV of Spain, was one of the leading Spanish journalists of his generation who was shot dead on mission, in Haiti in 2004.
- The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation/UNCA Global Prize for coverage of Climate Change. The foundation promotes sustainable and equitable management of natural resources and places the individual at the center of its projects. It encourages the implementation of innovative and ethical solutions in three main categories: climate change, biodiversity, and water.
- The United Nations Foundation prize for any entry in any medium that best covers the humanitarian and development aspects of the U.N. and its agencies.
Work in print, Internet, radio or TV between August 2011 and August 2012, covering the U.N. and its agencies in whatever capacity. The judges will look for entries with impact, insight and originality, and will take into account the courage, assiduity and investigative work of the journalist.
We particularly welcome entries from the developing world media. A written transcript will assist judging of radio and TV entries. Multiple or joint entries will be accepted.
Entries not in one of the official languages of the U.N. should have a translation into English or French. Video entries should be in DVD (preferably NTSC format), and a minimum of two (2) copies should be sent of each entry.
FedEx, registered or couriered packages should be sent to:
UNCA Awards Committee
The Chrysler Building
132 East 43rd Street
New York, NY 10017, USA
+1 (212) 867-0001
To submit your entry:
- Send all material to: firstname.lastname@example.org (if sending hard copies - please send to address indicated above)
- Attach a professional photo of yourself (preferably jpg or pdf)
- Complete the AWARDS ENTRY FORM on the UNCA website: www.unca.com
- Questions regarding Awards: UNCA Office tel.: +1 (212) 963-7137.
- Or send an email to email@example.com
UNCA Awards Committee: Giampaolo Pioli (UNCA President), J. Tuyet Nguyen (Awards Event Chairman), Margaret Besheer (UNCA Treasurer), Richard Roth (Master of Ceremony).
United Nations Correspondents Association
United Nations Correspondents Association Office