Putin proposes extending term of Russia's Central Bank chiefBusiness & Economy March 22, 21:49
Mayor says investigation into London attack is underwayWorld March 22, 21:16
Ukrainian radicals urge Poroshenko to nationalize Russian banks’ subsidiariesBusiness & Economy March 22, 20:51
Peru is back on 2018 Dakar Rally track alongside with Bolivia, ArgentinaSport March 22, 20:08
Three dead, twenty injured in London attack — policeWorld March 22, 19:59
Stadium in Russia's Dagestan to be named after pole-vault queen IsinbayevaSport March 22, 19:19
Top pilots to fly Su-30SM jets over Moscow on Victory DayMilitary & Defense March 22, 18:53
Russian design bureau ready to integrate BrahMos missiles into frigates for Indian NavyMilitary & Defense March 22, 18:50
London police say they are treating Westminster incident as terrorismWorld March 22, 18:45
HAMBURG, December 8. /TASS/. Syrian Armed Forces have suspended combat operations in eastern Aleppo to enable withdrawal of a column of civilians from the city, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Thursday on the sidelines of a conference of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the OSCE.
"Combat actions of the Syrian Army in eastern Aleppo are suspended today, as a yet another and the biggest one so far operation to evacuate the civilians willing to leave the place is underway there," he said. "There are some 8,000 people in the column. That's a huge operation and the withdrawal route is five kilometers long."
Sergey Lavrov added that Russia’s and US’ military experts and diplomats will meet in Geneva on December 10 to discuss the situation in Aleppo.
The minister said he had had a telephone conversation and two meetings with US Secretary of State John Kerry in Hamburg. "An agreement was reached to organize a meeting between military experts and diplomats in Geneva on Saturday," the Russian top diplomat confirmed.
The United States seems to be sparing the terrorist organization Jabhat al-Nusra (outlawed in Russia), trying to take blows from it at all talks, the Russian minister added.
"I have heard today that the US State Department spokesman - there is a man called Toner [Deputy Spokesperson Mark Toner - TASS] - said that the Russian aerospace forces are delivering strikes mainly on the ‘moderate’ opposition but are sparing al-Nusra," Lavrov noted. "Mr. Toner took part in the majority of our talks with John Kerry and should be well-informed about what, in fact, is going on there."
"As for Jabhat al-Nusra, the United States is seeking to spare it. Moreover, during all our talks, the Americans tried to word agreements in such a way that would leave al-Nusra out and deliver it from reprisals," Lavrov said. "Naturally, we cannot accept that. Nusra Front is a terrorist organization recognized as such by the United Nations, the United States, Russia and other countries."
According to Lavrov, Moscow urges the UN Secretary General's special envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura, to appoint a date for the Syrian talks without delay.
"The Riyadh group of the (Syrian) negotiations doesn't want to sit down to the conference table because the demand preliminary guarantees of Bashar al-Assad's resignation from power," Lavrov said. "Well, if these people are so whimsical, it means the date for negotiations should simply be appointed. And let those who come there attain accords."
"And those who don't come should blame no one else but themselves," he said.