East Ukraine conflict claimed nearly 3,000 civilian lives — ICRCWorld August 20, 1:56
Renowned Russian filmmaker Andrei Konchalovsky turns 80Society & Culture August 20, 0:48
Netanyahu expects to meet with Putin in Sochi on August 23 — Israeli premier’s officeRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 19, 22:47
Surgut attacker is identified as a local resident - investigationSociety & Culture August 19, 14:09
Combat module containing neural networks may become series in Russia in 2018 — designerMilitary & Defense August 19, 10:44
Russian Head of General Staff Gerasimov hands award weapon to Syrian generalMilitary & Defense August 19, 9:10
German politician says Crimea should to be recognized as part of RussiaWorld August 19, 6:22
Russian Emergencies Ministry carries out over 430 humanitarian missions abroad since 1993Society & Culture August 19, 6:18
Olympic diving champion Zakharov to carry Russia’s flag at opening ceremony of UniversiadeSport August 19, 4:11
MOSCOW, November 16. /TASS/. The presidium of Russia’s Supreme Court has overturned the sentence against opposition activist and blogger Alexei Navalny who was charged with embezzling funds belonging to the Kirovles company, a TASS correspondent reported from the courtroom.
The case will be reviewed by the Leninsky district court of Kirov due to the new circumstances.
The court's presidium initiated the checks into the case after the decision of the European Court of Human Rights, which said that Navalny’s rights to have a fair trial had been violated.
In July 2013, Navalny was given a five-year suspended sentence as part of the Kirovles case. The former head of the Vyatka Forest Company, Pyotr Ofitserov, received a four-year suspended sentence.
Navalny criticized the Supreme Court’s ruling on Wednesday stressing that it failed to comply with the ECHR decision. "This case had been considered in detail, today I should have been acquitted."
"Today’s decision was passed with the only goal - to force me to again go to Kirov for the case’s reconsideration and therefore to obstruct my political activity," the blogger said, adding that he plans to appeal against the latest decision in the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe.