East Ukraine conflict claimed nearly 3,000 civilian lives — ICRCWorld August 20, 1:56
Renowned Russian filmmaker Andrei Konchalovsky turns 80Society & Culture August 20, 0:48
Netanyahu expects to meet with Putin in Sochi on August 23 — Israeli premier’s officeRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 19, 22:47
Surgut attacker is identified as a local resident - investigationSociety & Culture August 19, 14:09
Combat module containing neural networks may become series in Russia in 2018 — designerMilitary & Defense August 19, 10:44
Russian Head of General Staff Gerasimov hands award weapon to Syrian generalMilitary & Defense August 19, 9:10
German politician says Crimea should to be recognized as part of RussiaWorld August 19, 6:22
Russian Emergencies Ministry carries out over 430 humanitarian missions abroad since 1993Society & Culture August 19, 6:18
Olympic diving champion Zakharov to carry Russia’s flag at opening ceremony of UniversiadeSport August 19, 4:11
UNITED NATIONS, July 22. /TASS/. Relapse of large-scale military operations in eastern Ukraine may bury the process of peace settlement there, the Russian ambassador to the UN, Vitaly Churkin said in a letter to the UN Security Council on Friday.
He warned that the actions undertaken by Kiev were indicative of its preparations for an armed operation in Donbass.
Churkin said precise implementation of the September 2014 and February 2015 Minsk accords obviously stands outside the scope of interests of the Ukrainian leadership. Simultaneously, all the symptoms indicate the Ukrainian military’s preparations for an armed operation.
"There is no way letting the provocations by Ukrainian military in the southeast (of Ukraine) grow over into full-scale combat operations along the entire frontline," the letter said. "A relapse of the war may bury the process of peaceful settlement."
"In this connection, we call on all the international partners to put pressure on Kiev so as to prevent events from taking a disruptive course," Churkin said.
The letter cites a range of incidents registered over the past week by the Special Monitoring Mission of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, including the artillery shelling of school No. 84 and nearby residential houses in the city of Gorlovka.
"Analysis of SMM reports shows that artillery strikes at populated localities from the areas of deployment of Ukrainian armed units make up about 70% of all the case of shelling," he said.
"Also, the OSCE observers have registered considerable movements of Ukrainian weaponry" in the security zone in Donbass, as well as overflights and firing exercises of the pro-Kiev forces.
Churkin recalled SMM deputy chief Alexander Hug told a news briefing in Vienna on July 11, the relocations of Ukrainian military technologies along the frontline in the areas of Svetlodarsk and Granitny, as well as Kiev’s statements on a decision to put its block posts forward closer to the line of contact in Zaitsevo and Beryovsky and to deploy the rightwing nationalist ‘volunteer’ battalions Azov and Donbass in the zone of conflict were among the factors contributing to growth of tensions in Donbass.
"The consequence of events is easy to trace," Churkin said. "As of the end of last year, Kiev set out on a course of fanning tensions and put paid to a coordinated ceasefire in connection with a new academic year."
The letters says the pro-Kiev forces have begun a sprawling seizure of the neutral zone and the populated localities situated there.