Russia terrified watching monuments destroyed in Palmyra — culture ministerRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 21, 17:08
Russian bombers deliver successfully strikes on terrorists' facilities in SyriaWorld January 21, 15:39
Denmark uses Russian data in its application for expanding shelf — ministerBusiness & Economy January 21, 15:15
Agreement on bases in Syria to serve strengthening of stability in Middle East — MPRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 20, 21:18
Trump's inaugural address: When America is united, America is totally unstoppableWorld January 20, 20:57
Hermitage chief: New Palmyra destruction comes across as militants' vengeanceRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 20, 20:29
Russia's first deputy PM wants to keep current tax system for next political cycleBusiness & Economy January 20, 19:53
Russia’s Shipulin clinches gold in 20km individual race of IBU World Cup stage in ItalySport January 20, 19:18
Prominent Russian adventurer Konyukhov to take samples from Mariana Trench floorSociety & Culture January 20, 19:15
MOSCOW, March 10. /TASS/. Former Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko, on trial in Russia over the killing of two Russian journalists, has ended ‘dry’ hunger strike, her lawyer told TASS on Thursday.
"At the request of Ukraine’s president, Nadezhda stopped ‘dry’ hunger strike and started taking food," Mark Feygin said.
On March 3, Savchenko declared ‘dry’ hunger strike, meaning that she refuses both food and water. The move came in protest as the court in southern Russia delayed the decision in her case.
Earlier in the day, police tightened security near a pretrial detention center in Novocherkassk, in the Rostov region, where Savchenko is held, her lawyer Nikolay Polozov told TASS.
Savchenko’s mother and sister are near the facility hoping to obtain permission to meet with her. Police have officially warned journalists and all those present against "extremism", he added.
The 34-year-old Ukrainian is charged with murder, attempted murder and illegal border crossing. The pronouncement of the verdict in the case will begin on March 21 and will take two days.
The trial of Savchenko began in southern Russia on September 22. Savchenko has been held in Russian custody for already a year and 8 months.
Russia’s investigators say Savchenko joined the Aidar militant battalion and in June 2014 conducted covert surveillance and direction of artillery bombarding targeting a checkpoint in the much-troubled Lugansk region. The settlement was full of civilians, including three Russian journalists.
Two Russian journalists - Igor Kornelyuk and Anton Voloshin - from the All-Russian Television and Radio Broadcasting Network (VGTRK) died in the shelling.