MOSCOW, February 27. /TASS/. Syrian president’s adviser Bouthaina Shaaban reaffirmed the government’s commitment to ceasefire at a meeting with Russia’s special presidential envoy for the Middle East Mikhail Bogdanov in Moscow on Saturday, Russia’s foreign ministry said.
"Bouthaina Shaaban has once again confirmed the commitment of the Syrian government to ceasefire in line with the joint Russia-US statement and also the readiness and intention of Syria’s authorities to ensure humanitarian access to all regions in Syria," the ministry said in a statement.
During the talks Shaaban and Bogdanov, who is also Russian deputy foreign minister, discussed in detail the situation in Syria and the tasks to implement the Russian-US deal on halting combat actions in the country from February 27 that was approved unanimously by the UN Security Council resolution.
Both sides said the implementation of agreements on ceasefire and continuing decisive fight against terrorist groups will contribute to progress in the political settlement in Syria in line with UNSC resolution 2254 adopted in mid-December and decisions of the International Syria Support Group.
The ceasefire in Syria hammered out by Moscow and Washington earlier this week came into force at midnight Damascus time on Saturday. It does not cover such groups as the Islamic State and Jabhat an-Nusra. UN special envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura said 97 armed groups agreed to ceasefire.