Russian diplomat believes Astana meeting on Syria to strengthen ceasefire regimeRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 19, 16:00
Russia’s St. Petersburg unveils its official logo for 2020 UEFA Euro CupSport January 19, 14:47
Russia ready to help Italy in coping with earthquake aftermathWorld January 19, 14:21
Assad reveals main purpose of Astana meeting on SyriaWorld January 19, 14:20
NOVATEK’s shipyard construction is among Arctic priority projectsBusiness & Economy January 19, 14:10
Kremlin: Russia does not finance DonbassRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 19, 13:58
Peskov dismisses allegations that Moscow took personal swipe at ObamaRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 19, 13:45
NATO seeks constructive dialogue with Russia — StoltenbergWorld January 19, 13:43
At least 30 firefighters feared dead as burning building collapses in Iran — mediaWorld January 19, 13:41
MOSCOW, February 3. /TASS/. Moscow is deeply concerned over Pyongyang’s planned carrier rocket launch, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement released on Wednesday.
"We call on the North Korean side to seriously think about the consequences of DPRK’s undisguised opposition to the international community and to realistically assess the entire cost of such shortsighted moves," the ministry said.
"The announcement of the forthcoming launch of a carrier rocket in North Korea causes deep concern," the ministry said. "We have to state that intending to violate the UN Security Council requirements again the North Korean side demonstrates its defiant disregard for the generally recognized rules of international law," the Foreign Ministry said.
Previously, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and the International Maritime Organization (IMO) told TASS that North Korea informed the United Nations about the intention to launch an Earth observation satellite in the period between 8 and 25 February. The ITU received a letter from the DPRK Permanent Mission to the United Nations, informing that North Korea plans to launch an Earth observation satellite, spokesman for the Geneva-based ITU Sanjay Acharya told TASS on Tuesday.
The London-based IMO has also confirmed the fact of receiving the DPRK notification. IMO has received information from the DPRK regarding the launch of an Earth observation satellite between 8 and 25 February, Natasha Brown, an IMO spokesperson, told TASS.
DPRK authorities announced on January 6 that North Korea successfully tested a hydrogen bomb. The country’s government said then in a statement released by the North’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) that the test had no negative impact on the environment.
Pyongyang in the recent past has carried out three nuclear tests - in 2006, 2009 and 2013. In this regard, the UN Security Council, as well as the United States, Japan and South Korea on a bilateral basis imposed various sanctions on Pyongyang. After that the DPRK carried out no nuclear tests for two years until January 2016, launching only ballistic missiles in response to large-scale military exercises conducted jointly by South Korea and the United States. South Korea, the United States and Japan are currently engaged in active diplomatic efforts seeking, according to representatives of these countries, a tough UN Security Council resolution providing for sanctions on North Korea.