Raul Castro says no streets will be named after FidelWorld December 04, 5:38
Cuban TV host says Fidel Castro admired Russian peopleWorld December 04, 5:17
Voting gets underway in Uzbekistan to elect new presidentWorld December 04, 4:41
Mass rally in memory of Fidel Castro begins in Santiago de CubaWorld December 04, 3:32
Patriarch Kirill urges compatriots to cherish spiritual ties with homelandSociety & Culture December 04, 2:40
Fidel Castro’s funeral to be held in Santiago de CubaWorld December 04, 1:50
38 ceasefire violations by militants reported in Syria in 24 hoursRussian Politics & Diplomacy December 04, 1:23
Boxer Gassiev beats Lebedev to become IBF cruiserweight world champSport December 04, 0:47
Uzbekistan to hold presidential electionWorld December 04, 0:45
MOSCOW, January 14 /TASS/. Creation of a tribunal on the Boeing-777 crash that occurred in Ukraine in the summer of 2014 while the investigation is still ongoing contradicts any common sense, Russian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova said on Thursday.
Boeing-777 of Malaysia Airlines was shot down over Ukraine on July 17, 2014 in flight from Amsterdam /the Netherlands/ to Kuala Lumpur /Malaysia/. All the 298 people onboard, most of whom were Dutch, died in the crash. The Dutch Safety Board that had investigated the tragedy concluded in the final report published on October 13 last year that the aircraft had been downed by a Buk anti-aircraft missile launched from an area of approximately 320 square kilometres in eastern Ukraine.
"Creation of any ‘Boeing’ tribunals while the investigation is still ongoing contradicts any common sense at least irrespective of a country, which is in question. Such an approach proves that someone has no desire to look into what happened," the Russian diplomat said.
"There has been an attempt to immediately accuse those who were initially selected to be guilty. Lawful and legitimate tribunals are established by the United Nations. All other tribunals are illegitimate," Zakharova said.
"Russia’s task is to shed the light on this tragedy; find any possible information and understand what happened," she added.
The Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson touched upon other international problems during her briefing on Thursday. She condemned a theatricalized execution of a Russian Su-24 pilot staged at a nightclub in Kiev.
According to the spokeswoman, it was cynical, blasphemous and criminal.
The execution’s video appeared in the Internet late in December last year. "Demonstrably, the improvised execution had been shot in the same cynical manner and according to scenarios used for executions of hostages by ISIS (the former name of the Islamic State group) militants," the Russian diplomat went on to say.
"Criminal manifestations of this kind are another piece of evidence that aggressive Rusophobia is assuming more sacrilegious and inhumane forms in Ukraine," Zakharova stressed.
"It is surprising that until recently there has been no clear-cut and clearly expressed reaction of Ukraine’s official authorities to this trick. We are urging the authorities of this state to prosecute the master-minders and perpetrators of this criminal act," the Russian diplomat said.
Zakharova noted Russia had no information that Russians had been hurt in the Jakarta terror attacks.
"There have been no reports about injured Russians. Diplomatic and consular missions have been actively commenting the situation since morning and have provided all the necessary information. The Russian embassy in Jakarta has been in close contact with Indonesian law enforcers," the Russian diplomat said.
Zakharova advised all Russian nationals travelling to Indonesia to following the Russian Foreign Ministry recommendations to be vigilant, stay away from crowded places and not to leave the protected resort areas without any urgent need.
"In cases of emergency, it is necessary to contact the Russian embassy in Indonesia. The contact phones are available at the Russian Foreign Ministry website and the website of our embassy in Jakarta," Zakharova added.
Sevan people, including five attackers, died in a series of explosions and a shootout that took place in the centre of Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, earlier on Thursday.