MOSCOW, December 28. /TASS/. Information about the cancellation of the Russian delegations’ visits to Saudi Arabia contradicts reality, Russian presidential envoy for Syria Alexander Lavrentiev is holding intensive contacts in the Middle East these days, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
Some media earlier reported that, due to the elimination of leader of the Jaysh al-Islam extremist group Zahran Alloush and about some 20 field commanders of this illegal armed group near Damascus on December 25, the visits of a number of Russian delegations to Saudi Arabia had been cancelled, the ministry said. "This information contradicts reality," the ministry added.
The Russian Foreign ministry noted that all visits to Saudi Arabia earlier planned by the Russian side had taken place. "We maintain active dialogue with Riyadh on the entire range of issues on resolving the Syrian crisis," the ministry said.
"Furthermore, we can confirm that Russian presidential envoy for the Syrian settlement, Ambassador-at-Large Alexander Lavrentiev is holding intensive confidential contacts in the Middle East region these days," the Russian Foreign Ministry said.