MOSCOW, December 2. /TASS/. NATO’s offer for Montenegro to join the alliance will result in Russia’s response measures, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Wednesday.
"Moscow has always noted at various levels that the continuing expansion of NATO and NATO’s military infrastructure to the East, of course, cannot but lead to response actions from the East, namely, the Russian side in ensuring security interests and supporting the parity of interests," Peskov said.
The presidential spokesman however said it was early to speak about the particular steps. The president, the Foreign Ministry and Defense Ministry are yet to announce their stance on the issue, he added.
Peskov declined to comment on whether Russian President Vladimir Putin was expected to react in this regard. "Now, there are other priorities," he added.
Putin is due to deliver state of the nation address on December 3.
Earlier on Wednesday, NATO foreign ministers officially invited Montenegro to launch talks on joining the alliance. The negotiations are expected to take up to two years. Stoltenberg said Montenegro’s accession to NATO was not directed against Russia.
Since 2009, Montenegro has been carrying out a major propaganda campaign advertising NATO and the idea of the country’s membership in the alliance. Increasing the public support for the accession is one of the key goals set by Brussels for Podgorica.