MOSCOW, September 14. /TASS/. Supporters of Russia’s opposition leader Alexey Navalny have refused holding an authorized rally in Moscow planned for September 14, Alexey Mayorov, chief of Moscow’s regional security department, told TASS on Monday.
"We have received a notification from one of the rally’s organizer, Nikolay Lyaskin [head of Moscow’s office of Navalny’s Party of Progress that was stripped off its registration - TASS], that a rally dedicated to the result of the Sunday regional elections will not be held for technical reasons," Mayorov said, adding the rally of up to 2,000 participants had been authorized by the city’s authorities.
"We just decided not to hold this rally because there will be a rally on September 20," Roman Rubanov, director of the Anti-orruption Fund, said in turn.
Earlier, Navalny’s supporters applied for an authorization of a march and a rally under the slogan "For Alternativeness of Power" on September 20. The Moscow authorities suggested the organizers hold a rally [without a march] of up to 40,000 participants in Moscow’s southeastern suburb of Maryino, saying a series of events, including an international marathon, would be organized in the centre of the city on that day. Navalny’s supporters however keep on insisting both the rally and the march be held in downtown Moscow.