Currency converter
^
All news
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Situation in Yemen shows US reluctance to end conflict — Russian foreign ministry

November 10, 2:32 UTC+3 MOSCOW

The Russian Foreign Ministry said that "so far, everything indicates that the US side is not planning to change its policy in Yemen"

Share
1 pages in this article
Russian Foreign Ministry

Russian Foreign Ministry

© Sergey Fadeichev/TASS

MOSCOW, November 9. /TASS/. The escalation of the conflict in Yemen makes one question the sincerity of the United States’ statements on the necessity to finish the active phase of the conflict, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.

"Notably, such a negative development is taking place against the backdrop of recent calls of the US administration on all parties to the Yemeni conflict to cease hostilities in a span of one month and begin peace talks with mediation by United Nations Secretary General’s Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths. Taking into account that Washington is offering direct military support to the coalition units fighting in Yemen, the sincerity of the United States’ statements in favor of the soonest end of the active phase of the Yemeni conflict is called to question," the ministry said.

"So far, everything indicates that the US side is not planning to change its policy in Yemen and the parties to the armed confrontation in that country are still staking on settling the conflict by force," the ministry stressed.

The ministry noted the increased intensity of hostilities around the Houthi-controlled port of Hodeida which is used to deliver food, medicines and other daily essentials to Yemen. "It is yet another attempt of the coalition to storm and seize the city, which will inevitably entail numerous casualties not only among the warring parties but also among civilians. We have repeatedly warned about catastrophic consequences of such an operation," the ministry said.

The ministry emphasized that there is no military solution to the Yemeni conflict. "We understand that the path to the long-awaited peace and stability in Yemen may take a llot of time and effort but we have no doubt that it must be done only through dialogue and talks. We are set to continue efforts to facilitate this process," the ministry added.

In early November, armed units loyal to Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi launched a large-scale offensive in the northwestern Saada governorate, a key stronghold of the Ansar Allah Houthi movement. Concurrently, the Arab coalition intensified airstrikes on areas near the international airport of Yemen’s capital city Sanaa to destroy Houthi drone bases.

Show more
Share
In other media
ADVERTISEMENT
Partner News
ADVERTISEMENT