GENEVA, October 29 (Itar-Tass) - Syrian Deputy Prime Minister Qadri Jamil does not rule out that media reports about his dismissal may be true, but even in this case he pledges to continue the struggle for peaceful resolution of the Syrian crisis.
“If the media report about it, this may be true,” he told Itar-Tass by phone on Tuesday, noting, however, he “was not officially informed about it.”
“But if it is true, this does not influence the positions of our front regarding the ways to resolve the Syrian crisis through dialogue,” the founder of the party Popular Front for Change and Liberation said. “We joined the government on these positions and nothing will make us step away from this policy,” the Syrian deputy prime minister, who is currently on a visit in Moscow, noted.
Jamil, who was in charge of the economic bloc in the Syrian Cabinet, noted that he began working in the Syrian government in July 2012, while “the front had been supporting this position for 2.5-3 years.” “And we will continue this policy,” he noted.
The news agency SANA informed Jamil about his dismissal on Tuesday. The deputy prime minister was dismissed “for unauthorized meetings abroad,” SANA reported.
Last weekend one of the leaders of the internal Syrian opposition met with representatives of the U.S. State Department in Geneva. This meeting became the first one since the beginning of the crisis in Syria in March 2011. The meeting focused on the modalities of participation of the Syrian opposition in the international peace conference Geneva-2. The United States and Russia have been trying to convene it unsuccessfully since May 2013.