Gazprom CEO says North Stream-2 pipeline proves relevanceBusiness & Economy January 20, 19:10
More survivors found in avalanche-hit Italian hotel — mediaWorld January 20, 18:48
LIVE: Donald Trump's inaugurationWorld January 20, 18:21
Photos of the week: Trump in front of Lincoln, Miss Universe beauties and icy plungesSociety & Culture January 20, 18:21
Kremlin spokesman shrugs off cabinet shake-up rumors as ‘usual fun and games’Russian Politics & Diplomacy January 20, 18:17
Kremlin not stricken by any 'horror' from Trump's inaugurationRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 20, 18:08
Russian Foreign Ministry says situation in Venezuela may lead to color revolutionRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 20, 17:47
Germany’s ARD set to broadcast this Sunday another documentary on doping abuse in sportsSport January 20, 17:10
Number of Italy avalanche survivors rises to eightWorld January 20, 16:52
BERLIN, October 7. (Itar-Tass) – German embassy in Sana'a, Yemen, will not shut down after the Sunday murder of one of the security officers of the diplomatic mission, according to the decision made by the crisis staff in Berlin, who convened to discuss this situation on Monday.
Previously the media reported that bodyguard of Carola Müller-Holtkemper. Germany’s ambassador to Yemen, was shot and killed, allegedly during an attempted kidnapping of the ambassador.
Germany’s Foreign Minister confirmed the incident early Monday; however, Andreas Peschke, representative of the Ministry, denied that it was a botched kidnapping attempt. “The ambassador was not in Yemen at the time. That is why the theory of it being at attempted kidnapping is not considered,” he said.
German embassy to Yemen was one of the diplomatic missions of Western countries which temporary suspended operation a few months ago. It shut down August 4 and resumed work two weeks later. The decision to suspend work was made after American intelligence services reported of possible terrorist acts targeting Western diplomatic missions in the Middle East, including Yemen.
Meanwhile, the UN has limited freedom of travel of its personnel in Yemen until the murder situation is resolved.
“Staff should remain at home and not travel. No travel to shops or elsewhere is approved. Tomorrow is uncertain and all Staff should be very cautious,” an internal note sent by the U.N.'s Department of Safety and Security said on Monday.
Apart from the murder of an employee of the German embassy, last weekend a UN worker vanished without trace. His possible kidnapping is currently being investigated.