UNITED NATIONS ORGANISATION, August 25 (Itar-Tass) - U.N. experts will start investigating reports on the chemical attack in Damascus’ suburbs on Monday, August 26, U.N. Secretary-General’s spokesperson Martin Nesirky said on Sunday.
The U.N. Mission is preparing to start in the investigation on Monday, August 26, Nesirky said.
The U.N. Secretary-General informed the mission led by Ake Sellstrom to reveal facts related to the August 21 incident in Damascus’ suburbs. The Mission is preparing to start the investigation on August 26, Nesirky said.
During the consultations with U.N. High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Angela Kane on August 24-25, the Syrian government confirmed that it would cooperate with U.N. experts and follow the cessation of confrontation in the areas related to the incident, Nesirky said, adding that the warring parties shared responsibility for creating safe conditions for the work of U.N. experts.
Last Wednesday, the Syrian opposition said the authorities had used toxic agents by delivering strikes on Damascus’ suburbs. The victims exceeded 1,000 people. Damascus named reports as the slander, which undermined the work of U.N. inspectors in Syria.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said toxic agents had been used from rebels’ positions.