Doping samples of all athletes from past three Olympics should be re-analyzed ― lawmakerSport December 10, 2:01
Russia’s figure skater Medvedeva leads with world record after SP at Grand Prix finalsSport December 10, 1:28
Russian energy minister expects OPEC, non member countries to sign agreement on oil outputBusiness & Economy December 10, 0:46
40 ceasefire violations reported in Syria in past day ― Russian reconciliation centerWorld December 10, 0:02
Russia open for cooperation with IOC, WADA ― ROC presidentSport December 09, 23:44
McLaren’s report speaks for ‘fundamental attack’ on sports integrity ― IOC chief BachSport December 09, 23:08
McLaren report’s allegations to be taken to legal courts — former Sports Minister MutkoSport December 09, 21:41
Russia-Ukraine-EU gas talks to continue — EC energy chiefBusiness & Economy December 09, 21:11
Russian diplomat says concept of Syria’s moderate opposition has failedRussian Politics & Diplomacy December 09, 20:58
MOSCOW, August 2 (Itar-Tass) - Any agreement to be reached at the talks with Israel will be submitted to a nationwide referendum, Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki said.
Speaking of the consultations in Washington, he told Golos Rossii (Voice of Russia) radio on Thursday, August 1, that “these were just meetings, not talks”. The parties discussed where the talks would take place and how, what pattern should be used and what would be the role of the United States in this process.
It was agreed that the talks would start after the end of the Muslim fasting during the month of Ramadan to be followed by several holiday days ending on August 11.
“So the talks between Israelis and Palestinians will start right after the holidays, that is, after August 11,” al-Maliki said.
Speaking of their venue, he said they would be held in the region. “In Jerusalem or in Jericho. Or alternately in Jerusalem and Jericho... it is important that the talks take place on both Israeli and Palestinian territory by turns.”
On relations with Hamas, al-Maliki said Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas “has all the authority to conduct these negotiations on behalf of the Palestinian people.”
He said, however, that “any agreement that may be reached at the talks with the Israelis will be submitted to a nationwide referendum in Palestine. We are going to adhere to this agreement.”
The parties will discuss all disputable questions. “We agreed that mainly border and security issues will be discussed at the initial stage. But the borders of Palestine cannot be determined without discussing the problems of Jerusalem and Jewish settlements. There is a preliminary agreement that each concrete issue will be considered in connection with the others,” the minister said.
In its statement on July 30, the Committee on the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People said “Israel … would have to decide whether to help Palestine achieve independence or whether to continue confiscations, settlement construction and other such illegal policies and practices.”
Abdou Salam Diallo, Committee Chairman, highlighted, among others, Israel’s announcement to build 1,000 new homes in West Bank settlements; criticism by the Chairman of the Special Committee on Israeli Practices of Israel’s continued detention of more than 5,000 Palestinian prisoners; and reports by a non-governmental organisation that, so far this year, 1,790 Palestinians had been arrested and 16 shot dead by the Israeli military.
After the first round of discussions on Monday and Tuesday, July 29 and 30, the sides agreed to meet again in the Middle East in about two weeks’ time. The exact time and venue have yet to be determined. The parties also agreed to continue the dialogue for at least nine months in order to try to resolve the most critical disagreements over such issues as Israel’s security, the borders of the Palestinian state, the status of Jerusalem and the return of the Palestinian refugees.
The Israelis were represented by Justice Minister Tzipi Livni and Yitzhak Molcho, and the Palestinians were represented by Chief Negotiator Saeb Erekat and Mohammad Shtayyeh. The meetings in Washington marked the beginning of these talks and served as an opportunity to develop a procedural work plan for how the parties can proceed with the negotiations in the coming months.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry admitted, however, that “no one believes that the longstanding differences between the parties can be resolved overnight or just wiped away.”
Kerry pointed out that “the challenges require some very tough choices in the days ahead” and “the road ahead will be difficult and the challenges that the parties face are daunting” but said he was “hopeful because of the courageous leadership shown by President Abbas and Prime Minister Netanyahu. Both of them have chosen to make difficult choices here, and both of them were instrumental in pushing in this direction.”
They agreed that “the difficult road ahead is worth travelling and that the daunting challenges that we face are worth tackling. So they have courageously recognised that in order for Israelis and Palestinians to live together side by side in peace and security, they must begin by sitting at the table together in direct talks.”
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he was encouraged by “this positive development” and called on both sides to show leadership, courage, and responsibility to sustain this effort towards achieving the two-State vision.
He noted that the U.N. will continue to support any endeavour towards meaningful negotiations and to the achievement of a comprehensive peace in the region.
Direct negotiations between the Israelis and the Palestinians stalled in September 2010, after Israel refused to extend its freeze on settlement activity in the occupied Palestinian territory.
Addressing the Security Council in April, the U.N. Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, Robert Serry, urged the international community to maintain its commitment to advancing the prospects for resuming direct talks between the two sides.