MOSCOW, July 10 (Itar-Tass) - Additional security measures are taken in Egyptian resorts where about 80,000 Russian tourists are on holiday at present, the press service of the Federal Tourism Agency (Rostourism) said on Wednesday. The security measures are taken in connection with the unrest in the country.
Last week, officials from the agency went to the tourist zones to monitor the situation.
Rostourism notes that the Egyptian side has reported that the staff strength of police and security services is increased in Hurghada, checkpoints are organized in the city, and the army has joined the measures to ensure security in the region. Additional measures are also taken at the airport, where the guard staff is reinforced.
Many demonstrators were seen in the resort zone of Hurghada on July 7. According to Rostourism, the demonstrations took place close to hotels, but they were peaceful. There were no aggressive actions against tourists.
On July 8, a meeting was held in the specially set up Rostourism headquarters with the participation of Red Sea Province Governor Tariq Mehdi, police chief Hamdi Al Gazar, Hurghada administration officials who are in charge of various facilities of the infrastructure, hotel owners and representatives of state and private mass media.
The Egyptian side gave a favourable forecast on the whole for further developments. Rostourism was assured that the number of protest actions would decrease in the region in the next few days. However, in case the situation worsens, all the services have a plan of actions to settle the situation.
No facts of disorders were reported in Hurghada on July 9, tourism agency sources said.
Russian representatives inform tourists about the situation in the country, in particular in resorts. According to Rostourism, in two days it received more than 400 calls from tourists who plan to leave for Egypt in the next few days.