Putin offers condolences to UK over terror attack in ManchesterRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 23, 10:10
Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester terror attackWorld May 23, 9:30
Police say death toll in Manchester Arena explosion reaches 22World May 23, 9:18
Hollywood actor Steven Seagal to get free land in Russia's Far EastSociety & Culture May 23, 9:06
Ariana Grande tweets she is 'broken' over blast following her concert at Manchester ArenaWorld May 23, 8:03
British PM to chair meeting of emergency response committee after Manchester blastWorld May 23, 7:53
Anti-corruption fight in Russia is in earnest, says upper house speakerRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 23, 6:24
British prime minister calls Manchester blast 'appalling terrorist attack'World May 23, 5:52
At least 19 people confirmed dead in Manchester Arena blastWorld May 23, 4:40
United Nations, March 6 (Itar-Tass) - UN officials are in talks over release of the peacekeepers captured in the Golan Heights by Syrian militants on Wednesday, Russian Ambassador to the United Nations Vitaly Churkin told reporters. Churkin chairs the UN Security Council in March.
"At present, talks are underway between the UN Secretariat and the captors. We're hoping that the peacekeepers will be set free immediately, as the UN SC demanded," Churkin said.
He urged the countries and the organizations that have influence upon the Syrian Opposition, to ensure the release of the peacekeepers who were part of the UN Disengagement Observer Force /UNDOF/ in the Golan Heights.
The ambassador did not tell if there were Russian citizens among the captured peacekeepers.
Earlier, the UN Security Council denounced the militants' actions in a statement and demanded that they release the captives immediately and without preliminary conditions.
It was the second incident in the past few days. On February 26, the United Nations reported that an UNDOF peacekeeper was missing.
International forces were deployed in the Golan Heights in 1974, after the disengagement of Israeli and Syrian troops had been negotiated. As of December 31, 2012, the UN kept a contingent of 1,000 servicemen there.