MOSCOW, January 15. /TASS/. Turkey hasn’t withdrawn permissions for works on Turkish Stream natural gas pipeline construction project, Russia’s Energy Minister Alexander Novak told TASS on Friday.
"Actually, this question should be addressed to Gazprom. But since I've received no reports and I have no information at the moment, Turkey hasn’t withdrawn permissions for works," he said.
On Thursday Novak confirmed Russia’s interest in implementation of the project in case the European and Turkish sides are interested as well. "I know that both the European Commission and energy ministers of European countries are working at the issue. For our part we’re ready to implement such a project but in case the European and Turkish partners show final interest," Novak said. Earlier the minister said the project has potential though the negotiations haven’t been resumed yet.
In December 2015 Russian President Vladimir Putin said the project will be implemented in case Turkey obtains guarantees from Brussels.
On December 1, 2014 the Russian gas producer Gazprom and the Turkish company Botas signed a memorandum of understanding on construction of a gas pipeline from Russia to Turkey via the Black Sea. The initial plan implied that the capacity of 4 lines of the pipeline would total 63 bln cubic meters of gas per year, of which 16 bln would be supplied to Turkey and 47 bln - to a new gas hub on the Turkish-Greek border.
The talks on signing of an intergovernmental agreement were put in hold due to political situation in Turkey, where cabinet of ministers wasn’t appointed at the time.
On December 1, the Russian government took a decision to suspend work of the mixed intergovernmental Russian-Turkish commission on trade and economic cooperation, which was headed by Alexander Novak for the Russian side, and which intended to consider the Turkish Stream gas pipeline project. On December 3, Novak told TASS the Turkish Stream construction project had been put on hold.