MOSCOW, December 8. /TASS/. The Russian Defense Ministry rejected reports on Thursday about the preliminary causes for a Sukhoi Su-33 fighter jet’s crash during its landing on the aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov in the Mediterranean.
The newspaper Kommersant reported earlier on Thursday that the commission investigating this incident considered a pilot error as the likely cause for the crash.
"The information of the newspaper Kommersant on allegedly preliminary conclusions of the commission investigating the causes of the Su-33 fighter jet’s crash absolutely have nothing to do with reality," the Defense Ministry said in a statement.
"The commission continues thorough work and has not made any preliminary conclusions before its probe is over. The author of the material has not turned to the Russian Defense Ministry’s official representative for information on the results of the commission’s work," the statement said.
As the Russian Defense Ministry reported on December 5, a Sukhoi-33 fighter jet crashed in the Mediterranean while landing on The Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier, with the pilot ejecting to safety.
After performing a combat mission over Syria, the Sukhoi-33 fighter-jet overran the runway while trying to land on The Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier. The arresting cable’s rupture was the reason, the ministry said.
A Russian Mikoyan MIG-29K fighter jet crashed earlier in November also in the Mediterranean. The incident occurred due to a technical fault as the plane was heading for landing on the aircraft carrier during training flights. The pilot also ejected himself and was taken aboard the aircraft carrier.