MINSK, June 24 (Itar-Tass) - Minsk named the EU Council of Ministers’ decision to rule out Belarusian Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei from the list whom is banned the entry to the EU as right, the ministry’s spokesman, Andrei Savinykh, told Itar-Tass on Monday.
“We believe that this is a constructive decision in the right direction. It’s the contacts and the mutually respectful dialogue will help us settle the existing disagreements,” Savinykh stressed.
The EU Council has decided to suspend visa sanctions against Belarusian Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei. The press service said this decision had been taken to ease contacts. However, Makei will remain in the list of persons on whom restrictions are effective. Visa sanctions will not be used, the press service said.
As presidential chief of staff Makei was included in the EU “sanction” list in January 2011. The EU leadership believes that he is involved in dispersing demonstrators who protested against the falsified results of the presidential elections in Minsk on December 10, 2010.