Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Power cable igniting in Moscow metro had to be replaced long ago

June 06, 2013, 3:42 UTC+3
A total of 4,500 people were evacuated from Okhotny Ryad and Biblioteka Lenina metro stations because of the fire on Wednesday
1 pages in this article
Photo ITAR-TASS

Photo ITAR-TASS

MOSCOW, June 6 (Itar-Tass) - The power cable that ignited in the tunnel of the Sokolnicheskaya metro line in Moscow on Wednesday had to be replaced ten years ago, the Izvestia daily reports on Thursday referring to experts.

“According to information we possess, the igniting power cable had to be replaced ten years ago,” the newspaper cites the research director at the All-Russia Research Institute for Cable Industry, Gennady Svalov, as saying.

The most widespread cause of such ignitions is short circuit in the power line of the metro service,” the director for technology at the Moskabel cable plant, Pavel Nikolayev, said.

He said the cable lifetime is from 20 to 30 years. “However, with due control they can serve longer,” he added.

A total of 4,500 people were evacuated from Okhotny Ryad and Biblioteka Lenina metro stations because of the fire on Wednesday.

As of Wednesday evening, 76 people had sought medical assistance after the incident over carbon monoxide inhalation, and 16 of them were hospitalized, the Ministry for Emergency Situations reports.

The incident caused massive transport disruption and made thousands of commuters walk to work.

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама