Scientists discover three Earth-sized exoplanets that may potentially harbor lifeScience & Space February 23, 5:50
Syrian opposition ready for direct talks with government delegation — representativeWorld February 22, 21:56
UN Syria envoy expects no breakthrough at new round of Syria talksWorld February 22, 21:09
Russia opposes sharing responsibility for fate of Middle East refugeesRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 22, 20:36
First woman in space Valentina Tereshkova may meet with Queen Elizabeth IIRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 22, 20:27
Spain’s famous footballer Puyol returns to Russia next week ahead of FIFA 2017, 2018 CupsSport February 22, 20:15
Putin promotes generals to higher military ranks after Syria operationMilitary & Defense February 22, 19:56
Russia, Turkey may discuss purchase of S-400 systems at March talksMilitary & Defense February 22, 19:18
European human rights watchdog welcomes court’s ruling on Russian opposition activistWorld February 22, 18:42
MOSCOW, June 3 (Itar-Tass) - Moscow believes that London’s initiative to adopt a U.N. Security Council statement on the events in Syria’s Al-Qusayr is untimely, Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Monday, June 3.
“In this situation, Great Britain initiated a draft statement of the Security Council chairman in the U.N. Security Council. Basically, it demanded that the Syrian military cease fire unilaterally and let the bandits encircled in several city districts get out,” he said.
“Russia could not agree with this position. We stated our disagreement and the draft did not pass,” the spokesperson added.
“The proposal that the international community should raise its voice at a time when the Syrian army is finishing a counter-terrorist operation against insurgents who have been terrorising the population of the border-lying Syrian town for several months can hardly be called timely,” Lukashevich sad.
He noted that “no one drew attention to the suffering of Al-Qusayr’s residents” during this time.
Fierce fighting continues in Al-Qusayr, 10 kilometres from the Lebanese border. According to Al-Watan, hundreds of mercenaries were killed there over the past 48 hours. A Syrian military source denied an Istanbul opposition statement that the insurgents in the town surrounded by the army had received reinforcement from other parts of the country. To prove his point, he said that the rebels heading to Al-Qusayr from Talbiseh, 10 kilometres from Homs, had been destroyed.