MOSCOW, May 18 (Itar-Tass) - Twenty nine school children had to be taken to the republican children’s clinical hospital in the Chechen capital Grozny on Friday after inhaling vapors of an unidentified substance, the hospital’s chief doctor Sultan Alimkhadjayev said. The children taken to hospital are aged five to fifteen. One woman teacher was affected, too.
“All complained of bitter taste in the mouth, soar throat, headache, stomach ache, nausea, breathing problems and a strong cough. All these are symptoms of poisoning with a gas that affects the nervous system. After examination five children were allowed to go home. All others took a blood test and are currently on a drip. Their condition has stabilized,” Alimkhadjayev said.
All other school students were evacuated or allowed to leave for home.
The site of the incident was inspected by Emergency Situations Ministry rescue workers, police, prosecutors and consumer rights watchdog Rospotrebnadzor specialists.