PYONGYANG, April 10 (Itar-Tass) - The deadline set by the authorities of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to the heads of foreign diplomatic missions and international humanitarian organizations to mull evacuating their staff expires on Wednesday. Last Friday, the country's Foreign Ministry warned that it would be able to guarantee their safety any longer, effective from April 10, in view of the aggravation of the situation on the Korean Peninsula.
It has become known to an Itar-Tass correspondent that so far none of Embassies here, including those of Russia and China, announced an intention to start evacuation. In this situation, non-governmental organizations that implement humanitarian projects in the countryside are planning to reduce the staff of technical experts. The administrative-and-financial personnel of UN representative offices will keep staying. Besides, their staff members, who are currently on leave, have been advised not to return to the DPRK until further notice.
Foreign tourists, who arrive here these days to get acquainted with the North Korean realities are ignoring the authorities' warning. Swedes, Australians, and Britons are among the arrivals. They can be met at the Koryo Hotel in downtown Pyongyang.
Delegations have also begun to arrive in the DPRK to participate in ceremonies on the occasion of the birth anniversary of Generalissimo Kim Il Sung--the First President and the author of the famous Juche ideas the esence of which comes to the country's reliance on one's own and to the distinctiveness of the Korean nation. The main festivities are scheduled for April 15.
On Tuesday, the Korean Committee for Peace in the Asia-Pacific Region (DPRK) called on the foreigners to get evacuated from the territory of South Korea. The Organization's statement points out that the situation in the region "is balancing on the brink of a thermonuclear war owing to the hostile actions of the USA and South Korea".
"As soon as an armed conflict breaks out, the DPRK will wage a relentless holy war," the statement says. "We do not want foreigners to fall victim to that conflict". In reply, the spokesman of the presidential administration of South Korea said, "The DPRK will not manage to sow fear among foreigners staying there through calls to get evacuated from that country".