Trump's inaugural address: When America is united, America is totally unstoppableWorld January 20, 20:57
Hermitage chief: New Palmyra destruction comes across as militants' vengeanceRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 20, 20:29
Russia's first deputy PM wants to keep current tax system for next political cycleBusiness & Economy January 20, 19:53
Russia’s Shipulin clinches gold in 20km individual race of IBU World Cup stage in ItalySport January 20, 19:18
Prominent Russian adventurer Konyukhov to take samples from Mariana Trench floorSociety & Culture January 20, 19:15
Gazprom CEO says North Stream-2 pipeline proves relevanceBusiness & Economy January 20, 19:10
More survivors found in avalanche-hit Italian hotel — mediaWorld January 20, 18:48
Donald Trump takes office as 45th US PresidentWorld January 20, 18:21
Photos of the week: Trump in front of Lincoln, Miss Universe beauties and icy plungesSociety & Culture January 20, 18:21
PYONGYANG, January 23 (Itar-Tass) — Through the fault of the United States that has tightened its hostile policy towards the DPRK, “the process of denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula has stopped,” the North Korean Foreign Ministry said in a statement circulated on Wednesday through the North’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) a few hours after the UN Security Council adopted a resolution to expand sanctions on Pyongyang.
“As a result, the six-party talks (on the nuclear problem of the Korean Peninsula) and the joint statement of their participants of September 19, 2005 lost force,” the statement says.
In these circumstances, the North Korean Foreign Ministry emphasised that the DPRK “will take measures to strengthen its military capabilities, including the nuclear deterrent force in the interests of self-defence.”
The UN Security Council on Tuesday adopted a resolution expanding the list of sanctions on North Korea. The resolution was a response to the launch of a rocket with an artificial earth satellite from the western Sohae launch site Pyongyang carried out on December 12 last year. The document was supported by all 15 permanent members of the UN Security Council, including Russia and China. The DPRK claimed that the launch of the spacecraft was carried out for peaceful purposes and for economic development.