MOSCOW, November 30 (Itar-Tass) — The Russian Foreign Ministry has published a list of Russians who were killed or hurt in a road accident in Egypt earlier on Friday.
“The Russian embassy in Egypt if closely watching the situation and is giving maximum assistance to the Russians. Russian consular workers are in contact with the victims and representatives of the Pegas Turistik Company that had sent the tourists to Egypt and Egyptian officials,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
The Russian consulate in Egypt has opened a “hot line” for the Russian tourists hurt in the road accident, a source at the Russian Federal Agency for Tourism (Rosturizm) told Itar-Tass.
The Rosturizm agency said that the causes of the accident on the Sinai Peninsula were being established.
The accident occurred on the Taba-Nuweiba road at around 4 a.m. Moscow time on Friday. According to preliminary reports, the driver of a microbus which carried eight Russian tourists from St. Petersburg to the Sharm-el-Sheikh airport lost control of the van and ran into a concrete road fence. As a result, two people died, two Russians were injured and the other four were placed in a hotel after a medical examination. They are now waiting to fly home, the consular department of the Russian embassy in Egypt reported.
Maya Lomidze, the executive director of the Association of Russian Tourism Operators, said that all Russian tourists had been insured at the European Travel Insurance (ETS) Company for a sum of 15,000 dollars that would be enough to cover all the expenses for medical treatment.