October 30 (Itar-Tass) — The administration of remand prison # 1 in Yekaterinburg has agreed on a thorough medical examination of Leonid Khabarov, a suspected accomplice of retired main intelligence department Colonel Vladimir Kvachkov, accused of attempted munity. Khabarov will be checked on October 31, the press service of the regional department of the Federal Penitentiary Service /FSIN/ told Itar-Tass on Tuesday.
"A prison doctor diagnosed ischemic heart disease in Khabarov. Taking into account his age, the remand prison administration on Tuesday decided to send him for complex medical examination to the therapy department of Yekaterinburg penitentiary # 2," the press service said.
Khabarov's lawyer Andrei Burmistrov said his client had complained about pains in the heart and lung area on October 24, and that his health had sharply deteriorated. Earlier, Kahbarov had been treated for pneumonia at the remand prison. He had been unable to have a complete course of treatment, given the prison conditions, the lawyer said.
Initially, the remand prison administration refused a medical check of the suspect, citing "complete conformity of the prison conditions to all norms and standards."
The criminal case over attempted armed munity is under review at the Sverdlovsk regional court. The defendants are Leonid Khabarov, Viktor Kralin, Alexander Ladeishchikov, and Ladeishchikov's son, who had already been given a 6-year suspended sentence in the case.
Khabarov, former director of the institute of military and technological education and security at the Ural Federal University, former first commandant of the Salang Pass in Afghanistan, was detained in Yekaterinburg last year. He was charged with attempted armed munity, and recruiting persons for terrorist activity. The investigators believe Kahbarov was involved in the plans to stage a munity in Yekaterinburg which was stopped by agents of the Federal Security Service.
The review of the case against the suspected mutiny mastermind, retired Colonel Vladimir Kvachkov, will begin at the Moscow City Cout on October 31. It will be held behind closed doors, as the case materials are confidential.
Kvachkov denied any wrongdoing and insisted that all the charges were far-fetched.
He said he had been arrested on the testimony of a regional leader of the Narodnoye Opolcheniye (Militia) organization he leads.
The chief of Narodnoye Opolcheniye's Togliatti office was apprehended in the summer of 2010.
After ten days in custody he testified against Kvachkov.
"According to the testimony, there was a person in Togliatti, who sent two groups of people, armed with crossbows, to a forest to begin an armed uprising," Kvachkov said.
He said he was confident that the detainees' statements were distorted, in order to show Narodnoye Opolcheniye and another organization - Minin and Pozharsky's Militia - as terrorist groups. "There are no facts to support the case," the retired Colonel said.
Kvachkov was the key suspect in the case over the assassination attempt on the life of chief of RAO UES electric utility Anatoly Chubais on March 17, 2005.
A jury found all the defendants in the assassination attempt case not guilty, in a marathon eight-hour session overnight to August 21, 2010. Kvachkov later won a 450,000-rouble damages suit.
Kvachkov had to undergo a psychiatric expert examination twice. The first was carried out within the Chubais attack probe.