MOSCOW, October 27 (Itar-Tass) —— The Syrian opposition has disrupted the truce, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said.
The Westerners again blocked the United Nations Security Council condemnation of the Damascus terrorist attack, and the opposition thwarted the armistice. Its policy to continue violence is obvious, Gatilov said in his Twitter blog on Saturday.
On Friday in Damascus, an explosion near a children's playground in the residential Daf al-Shouk area killed five people and injured more than 30. Most of the casualties are children who came for a festive event there.
According to Syrian media, it was one of a series of attacks that violated the truce declared for the Muslim Eid al-Adha holiday period. Terrorists also set off a car bomb in Deraa. During the day, there were reports about other truce violations by armed units of the opposition, to which troops of the Syrian army responded with fire. Militants attacked the military base in Wadi Deif.
In response to these events, Russia made a new attempt to pass a statement through the U.N. Security Council, condemning the acts of terrorism in Syria and confirming the commitment of member states to combating all forms of terrorism in accordance with the obligations set by the U.N. Charter.
However, the draft document prepared in connection with the Damascus terrorist attack was blocked by one of the Security Council member states, which explained its position by insufficiency of the information.
Earlier this week, Russia already tried to insist on U.N. Security Council condemnation of another terrorist attack committed in Damascus on October 21, which killed 13 people. An agreement was reached only on the text of a statement urging the conflicting parties in Syria to observe the holiday truce and make it possible to provide humanitarian aid for the population.