Russian top diplomat shares his impressions from meeting with US leaderRussian Politics & Diplomacy July 21, 20:31
Lavrov bewildered US special services give no facts of Russia’s meddling in US electionRussian Politics & Diplomacy July 21, 19:46
Putin says USSR collapse had greatest impact on himSociety & Culture July 21, 18:37
Putin expects Russian-European Mars landing mission to crown with successScience & Space July 21, 18:21
Key facts about ExxonMobil and its business in RussiaBusiness & Economy July 21, 18:14
Nemtsov’s daughter appeals against verdict on her father’s murder with Supreme CourtSociety & Culture July 21, 18:03
Chinese Navy warships arrive in Russian Baltic port for joint drillsMilitary & Defense July 21, 17:57
This week in photos: Putin’s binoculars, Macron's hug and Berlin’s welcome for UK heirsSociety & Culture July 21, 17:43
Putin discloses his code name at intelligence schoolSociety & Culture July 21, 17:39
MOSCOW, October 18 (Itar-Tass) — Left Front coordinator Sergei Udaltsov believes the criminal case opened against him is revenge for his opposing the government. He told it Itar-Tass after writing a pledge to stay in the city at the investigator's office. "I believe we have to step up our activity. Once we took a pause, the authorities exploited it. The mass media began mud throwing, and criminal cases were opened," he said.
Udaltsov said he knew people would stage solitary pickets on Thursday, October 18.
The opposition activist said police had confiscated 100,000 roubles from him during the search. The money had been gathered for a November festival in support of political prisoners. It was intended for leasing a hall," he explained, "they also seized 30,000 roubles, it's my money on which my family lived. The police seized documents, office equipment and my computer. They now have a warehouse: earlier, they took my computer and never returned it, I borrowed one from my friends, and they've taken it too.
"There is nothing to confirm whatever they accuse us of: preparing riots, arsons and mutinies at penitentiaries; these are terrible charges; but they haven't found anything.
"They want to split us," Udaltsov said in comments on the detention of Konstantin Lebedev, a suspect in the case.
"I don't understand why he remains in custody and how they can explained it," he added.
Speaking about his immediate plans, Udaltsov said he would sleep his fill: "I've been on my feet since the morning; a search, a questioning; the day was very hard."
The Left Front coordinator said he would not give up his struggle.
"The October 20-21 actions are ahead: there is also the election to the Opposition’s Coordinating Council; we don't intend to give up," he stated.
On Wednesday, Udaltsov was questioned as a suspect in the case over preparations to organize mass disturbances.
The criminal case was opened against Udaltsov, his aide Konstantin Lebedev, as well as against Leonid Razvozzhayev, an aide to State Duma lawmaker Ilya Ponomaryov after a check into facts from the Anatomy of Protest -2 film. It showed a discussion over the possibility to stage mass disturbances in Moscow and several Russian regions.
The investigators did not detain Udaltsov; he was released on recognizance, Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin told Itar-Tass.
"At present, /Udaltsov's aide/ Konstantin Lebedev has been detained in accordance with Article 91 of the Code of Criminal Procedure /for 48 hours/; he was questioned as a suspect. Both suspects testified that they had nothing to do with the organization of mass disturbances; but confirmed the fact of their meetings with Georgia residents in Minsk in the summer of 2012," Markin said.
The third suspect whom the investigators planned to question on Wednesday was Leonid Razvozzhayev, an aide to State Duma deputy Ilya Ponomaryov. However, the investigators were unable to find him. "At present, measures are being taken to ascertain his whereabouts," the SK representative said.
In the course of the searches that begin on Wednesday morning within the case over preparations for mass disturbances, investigators confiscated electronic media and documents.
"Investigators of the SK's main department finished the searches at the apartments of the suspects in the criminal case over preparations to organize mass disturbances, opened against Sergei Udaltsov, Leonid Razvozzhayev, Konstantin Lebedev and other persons," Markin said.
"During six searches conducted at Udaltsov, Razvozzhayev, Lebedev and Aimaletdinov's apartments, they seized electronic media and documents which they will examine shortly. Then expert examinations of the seized items will be carried out. Police seized hunting rifle cartridges from Lebedev which he had not kept in a safe, contrary to regulations," Markin added
The issue of bringing charges against the suspects will be decided upon within the procedural timeframe established by law, the SK spokesman said.
The investigators will also check the information from the Anatomy of Protest -2 film about possible preparations of terrorist attacks in Russia by participants in the meeting shown in the film. If the information is found to be authentic, a legal assessment of actions by Udaltsov and his associates, including Georgian citizens, will follow," Markin said.