Eurovision organizers fine Ukraine for failing to adequately fulfil obligationsWorld June 29, 18:51
Putin hails growing ties between Russia and GermanyRussian Politics & Diplomacy June 29, 18:25
Russia’s future orbital station to have no service life limitScience & Space June 29, 18:21
Relatives of defendants in Nemtsov murder case to appeal to ECHRSociety & Culture June 29, 17:46
Russian shipyard may equip exported warships with latest air defense missile/gun systemMilitary & Defense June 29, 17:24
EU envoys ratify Ukraine Association AgreementWorld June 29, 17:15
Russian opera star Hvorostovsky cancels Vienna season concertsSociety & Culture June 29, 16:30
Samantha Smith: 10-year-old Goodwill Ambassador that embraced warmth during the Cold WarSociety & Culture June 29, 16:29
Paris sees new opportunities for dialogue on Syria with MoscowWorld June 29, 16:27
MOSCOW, October 12 (Itar-Tass) — The Investigative Committee has resumed the probe into the criminal case over the mass fight at the Tornado rock festival in the Chelyabinsk region in 2010 as police detained another suspect.
"On Thursday, law-enforcement agents detained Sergei Kurbanov in Kopeisk, Chelyabinsk region. He was an active participant in the fight," SK spokesman Sergei Markin told Itar-Tass.
"Kurbatov has been placed under arrest. He was charged under Article 212, Part 2 of Russia’s penal code /"participation in mass disturbances"/, the spokesman said.
"According to the investigators, Kurbatov, together with other participants, arrived at the Tornado rock festival held on the premises of a children's recreation camp and participated in mass disturbances, accompanied by violence, destruction of property and use of firearms against festival guests. The investigators believe Kurbatov fired a non-lethal gun at three persons wounding them. The crime was motivated by the attackers' resentment of festival guests' love for rock music," Markin said.
A large group of youths, armed with metal rods and sticks, entered the recreation center on August 29, 2010, and began to beat spectators. Nineteen people sought medical help after the beating. Two of the victims were hospitalized. Some 2,000 guests attended the festival in the village of Turgoyak.
The first suspects were detained one hour after the attack. Police said some of them had criminal records on file.
Regional prosecutors said the mastermind behind the attack was the owner of a local kebab house, but many doubted he could have enlisted the support of so many people. A conflict between local residents and festival guests reportedly occurred one day before the attack.
Robert Nazaryan, the kebab house owner, and his two acquaintances - Konstantin Katayev and Andrei Izmestyev - had been found guilty of starting the fight and inciting social hatred. They were sentenced to 6, 5, and 4.5 years respectively. One attacker was sentenced to four years, six - to 3.5 years and another three - to four years.