Diplomat says UN may act as mediator at Astana talks between Damascus and oppositionRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 17, 21:31
Expert believes Brexit to bring UK closer to USWorld January 17, 20:29
Italian Foreign Ministry: It is necessary to assess conditions for returning to G8 formatWorld January 17, 20:04
Russia hopes ECHR will cancel its ruling on Dima Yakovlev Law — diplomatRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 17, 19:35
Preserving Moldova's neutrality impossible without partnership with Russia — presidentWorld January 17, 19:10
OPEC to monitor oil production, export — Saudi Arabian Energy MinisterBusiness & Economy January 17, 18:57
Group of Sukhoi-24M bombers to return from Syria soon — Defense MinistryMilitary & Defense January 17, 18:50
Russian reconciliation center reports over 1,130 Syrian settlements join ceasefireWorld January 17, 18:47
Over 5,000 Syrians get medical aid from Russian doctorsWorld January 17, 18:37
MOSCOW, October 12 (Itar-Tass) — The Investigative Committee has resumed the probe into the criminal case over the mass fight at the Tornado rock festival in the Chelyabinsk region in 2010 as police detained another suspect.
"On Thursday, law-enforcement agents detained Sergei Kurbanov in Kopeisk, Chelyabinsk region. He was an active participant in the fight," SK spokesman Sergei Markin told Itar-Tass.
"Kurbatov has been placed under arrest. He was charged under Article 212, Part 2 of Russia’s penal code /"participation in mass disturbances"/, the spokesman said.
"According to the investigators, Kurbatov, together with other participants, arrived at the Tornado rock festival held on the premises of a children's recreation camp and participated in mass disturbances, accompanied by violence, destruction of property and use of firearms against festival guests. The investigators believe Kurbatov fired a non-lethal gun at three persons wounding them. The crime was motivated by the attackers' resentment of festival guests' love for rock music," Markin said.
A large group of youths, armed with metal rods and sticks, entered the recreation center on August 29, 2010, and began to beat spectators. Nineteen people sought medical help after the beating. Two of the victims were hospitalized. Some 2,000 guests attended the festival in the village of Turgoyak.
The first suspects were detained one hour after the attack. Police said some of them had criminal records on file.
Regional prosecutors said the mastermind behind the attack was the owner of a local kebab house, but many doubted he could have enlisted the support of so many people. A conflict between local residents and festival guests reportedly occurred one day before the attack.
Robert Nazaryan, the kebab house owner, and his two acquaintances - Konstantin Katayev and Andrei Izmestyev - had been found guilty of starting the fight and inciting social hatred. They were sentenced to 6, 5, and 4.5 years respectively. One attacker was sentenced to four years, six - to 3.5 years and another three - to four years.