MOSCOW, August 25 (Itar-Tass) — Timely measures were taken during the new flood in Kuban and they allowed us to avoid considerable losses, Emergencies Minister Vladimir Puchkov said on Saturday.
On August 22, Nechepsukho River’s water level rose after rainstorms in the settlement of Novomikhailovsky, the Tuapse district, Krasnodar Territory. Over 600 houses, socially important facilities and the infrastructure were waterlogged. The rainstorms killed four people and hurt about 6,000 people.
“Timely measures to protect the population, warning and information allowed us to avoid considerable losses,” Puchkov said at a session of the government commission’s working group.
He explained that people had been evacuated. The anti-crisis management system was deployed rather quickly. The emergency centres were organised on the spot and in Moscow. “The effective group, including 1,700 people and 200 units of equipment was formed within the shortest time possible,” the minister stressed.
This made it possible to complete rescue and recovery operations by towards evening of August 22. “Communication and water supply has been practically restored. Electricity is being supplied to houses gradually,” Puchkov said.
In his words, the situation in the Tuapse district is stable.