Diplomat blasts US media reports on Russia's alleged arms supplies to TalibanRussian Politics & Diplomacy July 25, 21:39
Putin, Iraqi vice-president discuss possible supplies of T-90 tanksMilitary & Defense July 25, 21:18
Sports minister hopes for Russia’s membership reinstatement with IAAF before 2018Sport July 25, 20:47
The highlights of 2017 FINA World ChampionshipsSport July 25, 19:37
IAAF to hear report on Russia’s reinstatement ahead of 2017 Athletics World ChampionshipSport July 25, 19:25
EU Council to discuss Nord Stream 2 project in SeptemberBusiness & Economy July 25, 19:13
Berlin preparing common European response to Siemens turbines supplies to Crimea — sourceBusiness & Economy July 25, 18:49
Finnish president: Dialog with Putin is direct and clearWorld July 25, 18:22
Summer surprises: Arctic swelters in heatwave, while resorts soak in rainBusiness & Economy July 25, 18:03
SUPRASL, Poland, August 18 (Itar-Tass) —— Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia remembered Archbishop Miron who died in the plane crash near Smolensk in 2010.
He held a religious service at the archbishop’s tomb at the Suprasl Monastery on Saturday, August 18.
The plane crash claimed the lives of nearly a hundred Polish high-ranking officials, including President Lech Kaczynski.
Kirill is in Poland on a four-day visit that will end on August 19.
The Monastery of the Annunciation in Suprasl is a monastery in North Eastern Poland. It belongs to the Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church and is one of six Eastern Orthodox monasteries for males in Poland.
The monastery was founded by Aleksander Chodkiewicz, the Grand Duke of Lithuania, under a special order issued by the Patriarch of Constantinople, Jeremias II Tranos. Originally, it was a wooden church built in 1501, but with the passage of years several other churches were built on the monastery grounds. The Church of the Annunciation, built between 1503 and 1511, was consecrated in 1516, followed by the Church of the Resurrection of Our Lord.
Gradually the monastery built up a large library which had about 200 manuscripts and printed books in 1557, and in 1645 their number increased to almost 600. The monastery became prominent as a site of Orthodox culture, maintaining contact with other monasteries, including in Kiev and on Mount Athos.
Under the Union of Brest-Litovsk the monastery was rebuilt in the early 17th century to add an expanded publishing house and found several affiliated monasteries, including one in Warsaw that continues to exist to this day.
Following the Third Partition of Poland in the late 18th century, the monastery was confiscated by Prussia in 1796, but continued to play a religious role as the seat of the eparchy established by the Prussians in 1797 for the Ruthenians/Russians under Prussian rule. The area came under Russian rule after the Treaties of Tilsit in 1807. In 1824, the monastery came under the control of the Church of Russia.
The monastery’s life was seriously disrupted by the two world wars. During World War I, the monks fled to Russia, taking the icon of Our Lady of Suprasl with them. Between the wars the monastery was occupied by the Latin Rite Salesian Order. Later, during World War II, the retreating German troops destroyed the Church of the Annunciation and its frescoes. Under the rule of the Communist government after the war the monastery was used as an agricultural academy.
With the collapse of the Communist rule in the late 20th century, the monastery was turned over to the Church of Poland, which immediately started its restoration and renovation.