VLADIVOSTOK, July 25 (Itar-Tass) — All the children from the Mechta (Dream) recreation camp where mass food poisoning of children was registered have now been discharged from the Nakhodka city hospital.
According to hospital chief physician Igor Ponetayev, the preliminary diagnosis was correct - the children got a rotavirus infection that was tentatively contained in vegetables. “All the kids feel good, so there is no reason for leaving them at hospital,” he stressed.
The first patients with intestinal infection in the children’s holiday camp Mechta in the Primorsky Territory were registered on July 22. Criminal proceedings were instituted over the mass infection in the children’s recreation camp under the RF Criminal Code article “violation of sanitary-epidemiological rules, causing mass poisoning of people through negligence.”
According to the Russian Federal Consumer Rights Protection and Human Health Control Service (Rospotrebnadzor), there were 27 people affected by the infection, including 26 children aged from 9 to 14 years and one adult.
It was established that the source of infection was fresh cucumbers with rotting signs. All the poor quality products have been withdrawn from sale. The products’ supplier has been found and Rospotrebnadzor officers initiated an administrative investigation against it.
A total of 350 children are holidaying in the camp, no other infection cases have been recorded.