Press review: Ripples from Barcelona terror attack and risks from China's shale revolutionPress Review August 18, 13:00
Georgia asks Ukraine to extradite ex-president SaakashviliWorld August 18, 12:11
Russian planes to be equipped with ‘nervous system’ for monitoring airframe flawsScience & Space August 18, 11:39
Muscovites bring flowers to Spanish embassySociety & Culture August 18, 11:13
Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacksWorld August 18, 9:49
Syrian army encircles terrorists near strategic city of AkerbatMilitary & Defense August 18, 9:05
Spanish police confirm four terrorists shot dead in CambrilsWorld August 18, 5:56
Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona terror attackWorld August 18, 3:07
Russian cosmonauts successfully complete spacewalkScience & Space August 18, 2:37
MOSCOW, June 24 (Itar-Tass) — Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Turkish counterpart Ahmet Davutoglu had a telephone conversation on Sunday to discuss the incident with a Turkish military plane brought down by Syria’s air defense forces, the Russian Foreign Ministry reports.
The telephone conversation was initiated by the Turkish side. In their conversation the two top diplomats “discussed the situation around Syria, including within the context of the incident with a Turkish fighter jet,” the ministry reports.
The incident occurred on Friday, when a Turkish fighter jet flew off on a mission from Erhach airbase in Malatya Province. Shortly before noon radio contact with the plane was lost, and it disappeared from radar screens. The incident took place over the sea southwest off Hatay Province bordering on Syria.
A Syrian military spokesman said the plane had been shot down by Syria’s air defense forces one kilometer off the Syrian coast, Syrian news agency SANA reported. Flying another ten kilometers or so it fell into the sea. According to the military, the fire was opened because the aircraft had violated Syria’s airspace, and in line with the law.
The incident has escalated tensions in relations between Syria and Turkey. The authorities in Ankara refrain from sharp statements, but pledge Turkey will take steps in response.
U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has expressed concern over the incident. In a press release circulated at the U.N. headquarters, he hailed Turkey’s restraint demonstrated at the initial stage and expressed gratitude to Turkey and Syria for conducting a joint search-and-rescue operation. He urged the sides to continue the settlement of the situation diplomatically.
He also said the United Nations was ready to offer any assistance that would be useful in that difficult situation.