Russian diplomat believes Astana meeting on Syria to strengthen ceasefire regimeRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 19, 16:00
Ankara hopes for success of Syrian talks in Astana — Turkey’s deputy PMWorld January 19, 15:35
Russia’s St. Petersburg unveils its official logo for 2020 UEFA Euro CupSport January 19, 14:47
Russia ready to help Italy in coping with earthquake aftermathWorld January 19, 14:21
Assad reveals main purpose of Astana meeting on SyriaWorld January 19, 14:20
NOVATEK’s shipyard construction is among Arctic priority projectsBusiness & Economy January 19, 14:10
Kremlin: Russia does not finance DonbassRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 19, 13:58
Peskov dismisses allegations that Moscow took personal swipe at ObamaRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 19, 13:45
NATO seeks constructive dialogue with Russia — StoltenbergWorld January 19, 13:43
MOSCOW, June 10 (Itar-Tass) —— Three militants were killed in a police operation in Kabardino-Balkaria, the National Counter Terrorism Committee told Itar-Tass on Sunday.
Zhiraslan Guketlov, 27, who had been wanted federally since 2011 for attacking a police officer and deserting his post, was the last of the three.
“Guketlov took refuge in a private house in Baksan,” the Committee said. Officers of the Kabardino-Balkaria Operative Staff had several hours of negotiations with Guketlov after the evacuation of tenants of nearby houses. Guketlov’s mother tried to convince her son to lay down arms and to surrender but he opened fire at servicemen, tossed grenades and was killed in the gunfire exchange.
Guketlov deserted a military unit in early 2011 and joined the gang operating in the Baksan district. “He took part in a number of attacks at police officers in the Baksan district in 2011 and 2012,” the Committee said.
A handgun with three cartridge clips and a grenade were found on the clash scene.
The three militants killed on June 9-10 lethally wounded a Federal Security Service officer. He died at the hospital.
Four policemen were hurt in the operation. There were no civilian casualties. The search for militants continues in the counter terrorism operation zone.