CAIRO, May 27 (Itar-Tass) — Damascus has nothing to do with the shelling of the city of Al Houla, Homs province, where 92 residents, including 38 children, were killed on Friday, said on Sunday spokesman of the Syrian Foreign Ministry Jihad Makdesi.
“Women, children and the aged were killed. This is not the way the valorous Syrian army acts,” he said. “Syria bears responsibility for the protection of civilians under the republican Constitution. Artillery and tanks have not been dispatched to Al Houla.”
Damascus intends to investigate circumstances of shelling the city of Al Houla, the spokesman continued.
“For this purpose, law enforcement bodies and the army have set up a special committee. It will investigate all facts and publish its findings within three days,” he added.
Speaking with reporters, Makdesi said that special representative of the UN and the Arab League Kofi Annan would visit Syria even on Monday with a mediation mission on settling the armed conflict in this country. It was made known earlier that Annan would come to Damascus. However, an exact date was not named.
Head of the UN observer mission on a ceasefire in Syria, Norwegian General Robert Mood stated on Saturday that as a result of shelling at Al Houla, 92 people, including 38 children under 10, were killed on Friday. According to the general, firing was conducted with tank guns.
Incidentally, Britain demands calling a special meeting of the UN Security Council in connection with the death of over 90 residents, including 32 children under 10, in the Syrian city of Al Houla as a result of shelling on Friday.
Spokesman of the British Foreign Ministry Alistair Burt said on Sunday that it is necessary to call a special meeting of the UN Security Council to show that plans of the international community would not be brought to naught.
He added that the Syrian charge de’affaires to the United Kingdom would be summoned to the Foreign Office in connection with the tragedy in Al Houla.