Currency converter
All news
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Probe against terrorists' abettor completed

May 02, 2012, 17:59 UTC+3

The investigators have gathered a sufficient body of evidence for reviewing the case on the merits

1 pages in this article

MOSCOW, May 2 (Itar-Tass) — The Investigative Committee has finished the probe against a suspected abettor of the militants who had planned an act of terror in Moscow's Red Square overnight to January 1, 2011. Timur Akubekov helped prepare the terrorist attack, Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin told Itar-Tass.

Akubekov's role was to arrange the transportation to Red Square of the perpetrators of the terrorist attack, Zeinab Suyunova and Zavzhat Daudova. He had to take their mobile phone and money which gang members had passed to them, show them the places where they had to blow themselves up and monitor the terrorist attacks. The information about the results had to be passed by Shamil Paizulayev, another gang member.

The investigators ascertained that Suyunova was to have been the first to blast herself while Daudova had to await the arrival of law-enforcement personnel, approach them and then blow herself up.

On December 30 and 31, Akubekov sent SMS-messages to Suyunova and Daudova to coordinate the time of leaving the hotel, and called a taxi to collect them at 20:00, Moscow time, on December 2010.

However, he did not know that Suyunova and Daudova had been accommodated at the wrong hotel, and so he sent the taxi to the proper address. Then he sent them SMS-messages telling he would be waiting for them at a cafe near the Kitai-Gorod subway station, at 20:30, Moscow time on December 31.

As they were waiting for the taxi, Suyunova and Daudova strapped explosives to themselves but Daudova's bomb self-detonated, killing her.

Suyunova lost the fuse to her bomb. She also lost her mobile phone. "Having no idea where Red Square was located, she was unable to contact Akubekov for further instructions," Markin said.

She tried to go to Kizlyar by bus but was detained after document check in Volgograd on January 2, 2011.

Akubekov, upon learning from Paizulayev where the suicide bomber had lived, went there by taxi, but fled upon seeing law-enforcement agents. He was detained on January 28, 2011 in Makhachkala. He was accused of banditry, attempted terrorist attack and illegal acquisition of explosives.

Suyunova was charged under Criminal Code Article 209, Part 2 /"banditry"/, Article 30, Part 3, Article 205, Part 2 /"attempted terrorist attack"/, Article 222, Part 3 /"illegal keeping of weapons, ammunition, explosives and explosive devices"/, and Article 223, Part 3 /"illegal making of explosive devices by organized group/.

The investigators have gathered a sufficient body of evidence for reviewing the case on the merits, the SK spokesman said.


Show more
In other media
Partner News